2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 5.9 360 - Power Steering Gear box - Adjuster Screw Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 11:42 AM
goodwinsgirl3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 97 5.9 360 - Power Steering Gear box - Adjuster Screw Leak

I have pulled the steering box out, and replaced all of the seals, and after reinstalling the box I am still having a leak, but now instead of leaking from the bottom, it is leaking from the adjuster screw...? Is there anything that goes between the two pieced of metal...AM I MISSING something...there was nothing included in the master seal kit - and the diagram is not clear enough to tell - but it doesn't look like anything goes between them??

Does anyone know anything about this to help me... PLEASE!!!
Thanks Jenn (Maybe just beat it up) lol

Old 01-30-2011, 02:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Might pull it out, put a little RTV on the threads, and put it back in.... I can't say as I have ever seen one leak from there.... That's just.... Odd.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:21 PM
brainhouston

I've got the same problem too, leaking from underneath of locking nut on adjustment screw.
I bought the seal kit and replaced it, hoping to find what causing the leak but as OP said nothing in the kit is for adjustment screw area.
It also unclear to me how it supposed to keep oil out from adjusment bolt if there's no seal there at all.
It's odd that I couldn't find any more threads on this issue.
If anybody has any info on this I would appreciate it.
Thanks.

In the meantime I'm going to try some silicone or maybe copper washer to see if it will stop the leak.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

The fluid is probably wicking right up the threads of the adjuster screw, so, I doubt a washer will do anything for you. Wonder if this happens after an internal seal gets weak, and allows fluid past? I don't think there should really be any high pressure fluid in that area? Might check for a restriction in the return line?

Old 03-30-2011, 09:48 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If I recall, the last time I adjusted steering box, I noticed some white or light blue sealant in the threads. Id take the outer nut off and put some rtv at the base and around the threads.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:56 PM
brainhouston

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The fluid is probably wicking right up the threads of the adjuster screw, so, I doubt a washer will do anything for you. Wonder if this happens after an internal seal gets weak, and allows fluid past? I don't think there should really be any high pressure fluid in that area? Might check for a restriction in the return line?

That was my first tought too, but after taking it apart, from what I can tell there's no seal that's preventing oil to go up that screw and the whole area by the cover with 4 bolts is under pressure.

Last edited by brainhouston; 03-30-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:55 PM
brainhouston

So, after carefull inspection with truck running and mirror in my hand, I found out that the leak is coming not from adjustment screw but right from the middle of cover itself. I took off the cover (adjuster nut and four bolts) and carefully inspected it and found a CRACK in cover going from one of the side bolts to the middle of cover almost to the adjustment bolt hole. The crack was so tiny that it was almost impossible to see.
I pulled off another cover from the extra gearbox I had, put it on and no more leak. Put back adjuster nut without any silicone or washer and everything is good.
So, if anyone has similar issue, i suggest to look closely at the cover, most likely it's gonna be same problem I had.

Very excited to drive my truck again!

Quick Reply: 97 5.9 360 - Power Steering Gear box - Adjuster Screw Leak