2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Beefing up spring load capacity of 1/2 ton springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 03:09 PM
mjonesjr
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have a clue what the tongue weight of the trailer and load is.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:05 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest gettin an add-a-leaf for the rear or a helper spring

Old 01-31-2011, 05:08 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

Ive got an AAL on my 1/2 ton and it made a definant improvement. The add a leaf and the Monroe overload shocks would be a nice combo with the exception of what I would think would be a rough damn ride.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:54 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

An AAL will usually give you lift in the back when unloaded, so you might have a greater rake then you have now. The fix for that is a 2" coil spring or spacer lift up front.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:06 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

timbren. no change in unloaded ride height or quality. when you add load it sits on the rubber spring to pretty much eliminate squatting.

http://timbren.com/index.htm

Old 02-01-2011, 09:29 PM
lazyboy
Rookie

I put in helper leaf springs when I had a camper. the reasoning was so I did not have to re-adjust my headlights when loaded (1200 lb camper?). they did help a lot with the squat but ride is rough. been thinking about pulling them as I no longer have the camper.
remember you are not raising axle capacity just keeping the truck level. they will break given enough weight.
sounds like you have been givin plenty of ideas to consider.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:41 PM
RamSport97
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
timbren. no change in unloaded ride height or quality. when you add load it sits on the rubber spring to pretty much eliminate squatting.

http://timbren.com/index.htm
Agreed, I love mine. You don't even know they are there until you load up the bed or hook up a trailer. They make towing anything a breeze, and they have a 5,000 pound load leveling capacity. No air lines, no airbag ruptures while your cruising down the free way, no rough ride from add a leafs, and the timbrens have a lifetime warranty. Best of all, they only take about 5 minutes to install.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:54 AM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I put an add a leaf, air bags and sway bar on my 3/4 ton and that made the difference I needed for hauling my camper and trailer together and that camper is probably 3500lbs or more when loaded up.

Alot of guys swear by the Torklift Stable loads, or something like some Timbrens. The stable loads are kind of cool as they just make sure your overload springs kick in sooner and don't affect unloaded ride quality.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:34 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

tomorrow eve I'll be installing the superlifts soft ride 3"+ leaves to replace my worn out and pretty much flat leaves and a 3" block.. - I'll give you a report.. they advertise increased load capacity and a progressive enough compression that the ride is just as soft as stock initially, but ramp up pretty quick to give you 1200lbs more capacity.. I'm suspicious of the increased capacity, but any improvement over what I have is better than none..

Old 02-05-2011, 06:37 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hungover as a mug, I managed to get the soft ride springs on..

My buddy took a picture, and when I get it I'll post it.. The stock springs were shot- laying them on the ground with 'bow' up, and laying the superlift springs beside them (with 3" blocks sitting atop the 'shot' springs) the superlifts springs were still about two inches taller..

I had to raise the torsion bars to level it out.. which is fine, because after the lift, the keys had almost no preload on them at all.. Now they do.. The truck sits level..

I haven't hauled or towed anything- but the difference in ride quality is really noticeable.. It's amazing how much of a role the rear suspension plays in overall handling.. AND- no 'squeak squeak squeak'.. I like that the most..

the only problem is, the truck is a lot higher than I originally planned.. I've raised it a total of seven inches now, all suspension.

Quick Reply: Beefing up spring load capacity of 1/2 ton springs