2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What all should I replace when doing plenum / timing set?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 08:49 PM
matty675
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

might see a few extra ponies if you advanced the cam 4 degrees.

which reminds me... has anyone seen RMIndy lately?

damper bolt is 1-1/4"

Last edited by matty675; 02-01-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:28 AM
stands2p
Banned

interesting.injector o-rings for sure,jp performance timing set.best set for the money next to a rollmaster and no need for a tensioner with either.use a pos cloyes or comp,mp use a tensioner.start spraying down the 4 corner intake bolts with your fav penatrating oil so they dont snap on you.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:18 AM
Arachnyd
Veteran

wow! Thanks. That helps a whole lot. I'll buy the orings forthe injectors and then just return it if I don't use it.

As far as the felpro seal kits, I'll run back and pick that up. I think I have most everything else squared away.

Hopefully this is the last time (yeah right) I have major service to do to this ram...

Appreciate the help!

Old 02-18-2011, 12:14 PM
TLars
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arachnyd - how much did that list costs? I'm new to the Dodge scene, and finding I'm in the same position as to what is needed. I'm sure its my lack of knowledge but man it seems like a lot.

I'm just wondering if I'd be better off to buy a reman'd engine and have the typical bolt ons done. There is a reputable local place here in Phoenix who can put in complete turn key install 5.9s with warranty for $1500.

I know 95% of the members here prefer to do their own work, but I lack the knowledge and most of the tools. Opinions on saving for new engine vs buying all new seals, gaskets, timing chains, etc. ?

Thanks.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:28 AM
eric2084
Rookie

Originally Posted by matty675
might see a few extra ponies if you advanced the cam 4 degrees.
I'm getting ready to do this exact same work on my truck and was wondering about the cam advance.

I made the mistake of letting Dodge do the TSB 18-34-97 flash while it was still under warranty and all it did was noticeably reduce the performance (friends trucks were starting to ping but mine was still ok. I thought I'd do some PM and let them do this flash. Regretted it immediately). My understanding is the flash cannot be undone, so I'm wondering if doing the cam advance will correct for this?

Old 03-31-2011, 06:50 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the flash cannot be undone by the dealer, but on your 98, you can install and SCT tuner or Superchips to retune the pcm. sct might be a more aggressive and customized tune for modified engines, but won't correct the speedo. superchips will do both but is designed for a mostly stock engine.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:50 PM
zeusmann

I have a plenum gasket repair in the future and have a few questions.
Would it be worth it to take the valve covers off to check inside the heads and adjust the rockers? I may have new rockers at that time anyway if the $ situation is right, but lets just say I wont.
Would new(aftermarket) rockers be a worth while upgrade or would it just be minimal at best?
Would I also have to buy new springs, lifters, and rods with cam and/or rocker replacement?

Is there a way to know if my intake has the center divider in it before I take it off? If I have it all apart I might as well mod it and that center divider looks like it takes a good amount of time to get out and would rather not have to mess with it.
Is anyone running a 5.2 with the runners cut all the way down and how different is it from the recommended 1 1/2 I think it is?

If I have a broken intake bolt what tool would i need to take it out?

I would like to get everything in my wish list at once so I don't have to do multiple tear downs so I will have to save up some decent $ before I start.
Here it is tell me what you think.

For sure mods
Hughes plenum kit- $119.95
Ported throttle body- FREE
Modded Kegger- FREE
SCT from Hemifever with unlimited tunes-$365
High output Distributor cap, rotor, and coil- looking for recommendations
I figure around $500 all together with the cap, rotor, and coil whichever I choose.

Possible mods
New injecters- People say they have seen good increases in power just from the injectors alone. I think I seen people recommend 4 hole ones, a link for the right ones would be nice if somebody has it.
Cam- looking for reccomendations but I seen some on jegs for around $300. Havent really looked into this too much so I don't know if this is a good price or not.
Rockers- same as above but I see that a lot of people have them on the forum.
Exhaust headers- this would definitely be last

Old 04-02-2011, 10:06 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,283 Likes on 3,030 Posts

The 97 will have the center divider. No EGR though.

If you replace your cam, new springs and such depend a lot on what cam you use. Some you can get away with not replacing them, for that type of upgrade though, I would recommend getting new springs and such.

Rockers are not adjustable. Roller rockers in and of themselves will make your truck think it has a meaner cam, and won't require any custom tuning. (going with the HS 1.7 RRs.) These will also nicely compliment the modded kegger, and throttle body. (and any other mods you do that help the engine breathe.)

Don't bother with a high output coil, the stocker is more than adequate to the task.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:57 PM
DodgeRam10
Veteran

isnt there a camshaft seal behind the big gear? Should this be replaced in addition to the crank seal and timing seals and gaskets?

Old 04-02-2011, 11:04 PM
zeusmann

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The 97 will have the center divider. No EGR though.
Well A trip to the junk yard will solve this! 36 bucks and no HOURS of cutting out a center divider. Any advice on which years of magnums to look at for one without a CD and EGR?

Quick Reply: What all should I replace when doing plenum / timing set?