2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Major truck problems!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 09:49 PM
pashtrd
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major truck problems!

So we just got through the worst blizzard in 50 years here in milwaukee. M problems startd last night. Leaving work i started up the truck (a 2001 Ram 1500 W/ 5.9). my voltmeter is reading 8 volts. I rev up the motor, holding it at 2000 rpm. After 30 secs or so it starts charging. We get a mile down the road, lights dim, heater slows, voltmeter drops to 8 again. Pull over, pop the hood and the engine has more than an inch of snow over everything. after a couple minutes the lights got bright so we hit the road again. Voltmeter reading 8 volts the entire hour we are driving. But the lights were bright and the heater working great.

Half way home the blower motor starting screaching, then worked fine with no noises.

This morning i head out to start plowing the parking lot. I made 1 pass, hit the snowbank and reverse wont work. Got pulled out of the snowbank, parked the truck, all the time its running great.

I go to move the truck to take it to a trans shop to have it looked at, and it dies. let it sit for a few minutes and it will restart, but will die again. sometimes right away, sometimes after a few minutes.

random facts:
battery is original mopar battery. (10 years old)
when i hit the snowbank the red brake light came on, and the antilock brake light came on.
forward gears appear to work fine, no clue on OD

Please help!
its at the trans shop now, they will look at it tomorrow, but i want some ideas.

Thanks
Matt

Old 02-02-2011, 10:10 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the stalling is caused by low battery voltage, which is caused bye the 8 volt discharge. you might can drive it by keeping pressure on the gas pedal to keep it running.

the 8 volt battery discharge is your main problem. might be a weak alternator, or might be a voltage regulation problem (which is inside the pcm).

10 year old battery is the second problem... you might can recharge it and get a little more life out of it.

then again the 8 volt discharge might be caused by a dead battery that won't charge. clean the terminals and check the main cables.

not sure about the trans problem.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:19 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

weak batteries wreck havoc in our trucks get battery tested or buy a new one, also have alternator checked.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:31 PM
pashtrd
Professional

now i forot to mention today the voltmeter is reading 14+ volts when it is running. NOw not running i am getting 12.1 volts.

I will be replacing the battery, its the other stuff that concerns me. Especially the trans

Old 02-02-2011, 11:44 PM
Lone136
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With a snow plow you are asking alot of a 10 year old Battery and the alternator. I have a plow so I know. Take the truck and have the battery tested and the alternator. It's free and Advance Auto. Your Trans may be fine.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:39 AM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

12.1V is too low. If that is the best your battery can be charged to it's done. I'd try removing it from the truck, trickle charging it, let it sit for about 12 hours and retest the voltage. If you can't get it to sit at around 12.7 ish V after sitting for a day after charging then replace it.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:38 PM
pashtrd
Professional

Originally Posted by Ugly1
12.1V is too low. If that is the best your battery can be charged to it's done. I'd try removing it from the truck, trickle charging it, let it sit for about 12 hours and retest the voltage. If you can't get it to sit at around 12.7 ish V after sitting for a day after charging then replace it.
At this point I think i will just replace the battery once i get it back from the trans shop. $1895 installed 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty. They said when you put the shifter in reverse, you can feel it go into gear, and it will just barely try to creep along.....So i should have it back tomorrow, monday at the latest.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:53 AM
pashtrd
Professional

Well, i got it back from the trans shop today, and all is well. The stalling must have been caused by the snow melting and getting into things it shouldn't have. I had no issues driving it home today. I did install a new battery, and i just finished making a battery tray and hold down so i can install a 2nd battery on the passenger side inner fender, I need to get some cables and tomorrow i will have 2 batteries. Hooked up in parallel of course!

Old 02-09-2011, 03:03 AM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

pashtrd you should take lots of pics and do a diy! cause ive been thinking of doing the same for some time now.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:09 PM
pashtrd
Professional

Originally Posted by 99dodge318
pashtrd you should take lots of pics and do a diy! cause ive been thinking of doing the same for some time now.
Theres really not all that much to write about. I made a battery tray, bolted it to the inner fender on the pass side. Ran + and - cables from one battery to another, and called it a day.

Technically i should have an isolator between the 2, in case 1 fails it doesnt drain the other, but its not necessary. I can take some pics tomorrow and post them.

Quick Reply: Major truck problems!