2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

e-fan install

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 10:26 AM
snakeman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default e-fan install

hope everyone is staying warm. I will be replacing the water pump on my 01 3.9L this weekend. I am also going to install an e-fan. Can anyone give any suggestion on wiring etc... I could not find a specific diy on the e-fan mod.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:44 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this is solely my opinion, and there are going to be others who don't agree- but I'll share this:

You wiring is the most important part.. Make sure it's right more so than the fan itself.. I look at the fans as disposable, meaning you will ultimately replace them.. The wiring should be a permanent fixture though- so use 10ga wiring from the battery to the controller, and 12ga to the fan(s) themselves.. solder each connection and shrink wrap it.. protect the wiring with some flex tubing... make sure and use a relay for protection as well as a fuse near the battery.. if your fan(s) draw 18a on start up don't use anything less than a 25a relay, and nothing more than a 30a.. little things like that will save you hugely in the end from fire, shorts, overdrawing your alternator/battery, wrecking your PCM because you zapped it..

Old 02-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Flue
Veteran

If you have A/C it's suggested you have two control circuits. One temp controlled and one A/C clutch controlled. If you have a two speed fan you will want to use two relays since it's not good to run both Hi and Lo at the same time. You can use one relay to control the other so that when one circuit energizes it will open the other circuit.

If you want to play around with circuit designs other than what has already been posted you can use the Falstad Simulator to play around and monitor voltage, amperage and other stuff.

I used it to design a blown fuse indicator for my setup and by golly one of these days I'll actually install the darn thing...just as soon as it warms up.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:30 AM
snakeman

Originally Posted by drewactual
this is solely my opinion, and there are going to be others who don't agree- but I'll share this:

You wiring is the most important part.. Make sure it's right more so than the fan itself.. I look at the fans as disposable, meaning you will ultimately replace them.. The wiring should be a permanent fixture though- so use 10ga wiring from the battery to the controller, and 12ga to the fan(s) themselves.. solder each connection and shrink wrap it.. protect the wiring with some flex tubing... make sure and use a relay for protection as well as a fuse near the battery.. if your fan(s) draw 18a on start up don't use anything less than a 25a relay, and nothing more than a 30a.. little things like that will save you hugely in the end from fire, shorts, overdrawing your alternator/battery, wrecking your PCM because you zapped it..
I have two power leads, one to battery and one to "ignition signal" also option to wire to contant power source to allow fans to run after engine shuts off. I assume the fans will then shut off when temp drops. I want to go with this option. what should I wire this lead to? Any suggestions will help. Thanx

Old 02-05-2011, 10:59 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ignition lead can go to the wiper motor's positive connection, can't recall the color of the wire, but it should be in the FSM here.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:09 AM
Pacmanloads
Captain

I bought my dual E-fans though FF dynamics . Came with all the wiring and detailed instructions . It was also very affordable and cools very well . I Shrink tubed all connections and used plastic wire loom on all the wires and have had no issues and I live in a very cold wet climate here in eastern Canada . http://www.ffdynamics.com/
I was going to piece together my own efans from a scrap yard and build my own harness , but this kit was more affordable , brand new with detailed instructions.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:34 PM
snakeman
Default 1/2 way there!

Ok today got the new waterpump on, new thermostat(180deg) Flushed the rad and I don't think it has ever been flushed WOW! this should help! Tomorrow will put the e-fans on and check 4 leaks ( wish me luck)

Quick Reply: e-fan install