2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cooling fan question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 07:44 PM
Buellstunter
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cooling fan question.

How can You tell if the fan clutch is not working properly? My issue is that my temp gauge runs 200 to just slightly above. When I walk past the front of the truck it seems to feel like the air is blowing from the engine out?? I checked the belt routing and its correct. Just seemed like if I was in front of the truck (hood open) I should feel the fan drawing air in not pushing it out.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:42 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if you have a stock t-stat it a 195 so that sound about right to me,

as the fan goes with the motor off see how well you can move the fan by hand.

Should beable to put a piece of paper in front of the rad the fan will pull it and hold it

Old 02-04-2011, 09:01 PM
Buellstunter
Professional

Originally Posted by dodgeram07
Well if you have a stock t-stat it a 195 so that sound about right to me,

as the fan goes with the motor off see how well you can move the fan by hand.

Should beable to put a piece of paper in front of the rad the fan will pull it and hold it

Ok, thanks. Kinda thought the temp was ok. but threw that in there so everyone knew what it was. As far as the fan. I can spin the fan by hand with just slight resistance. And judging from putting my hand in front of the radiator...it will push the paper away.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:22 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

With my stock fan clutch and 195 t-stat (before the 180 and electric fan conversion), mine never ran above 200-ish, even in 100+ degrees with A/C fully cranked in downtown traffic.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:06 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

normal operation of the fan clutch is to feel some resistance.

if you try to spin it by hand, it should only spin 1 turn or less and then stop. if it freewheels, its bad.

another test is to watch it when you shut off the truck. it should stop spinning in 1 or 2 or 3 turns. if it freewheels, its bad.

you'r probably feeling the air after it bounces of the engine and comes back forward again. try the paper test above, i'd expect it the paper to be held against the center of the radiator.

i like to see the temp below 200. you might try changing out your t-stat with a good Stant Super-stat. test it in water before install. 180 or 195, don't put in the 160, that's too cold unless your towing like hell or unless you don't like having heat.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Buellstunter
Professional

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
normal operation of the fan clutch is to feel some resistance.

if you try to spin it by hand, it should only spin 1 turn or less and then stop. if it freewheels, its bad.

another test is to watch it when you shut off the truck. it should stop spinning in 1 or 2 or 3 turns. if it freewheels, its bad.

you'r probably feeling the air after it bounces of the engine and comes back forward again. try the paper test above, i'd expect it the paper to be held against the center of the radiator.

i like to see the temp below 200. you might try changing out your t-stat with a good Stant Super-stat. test it in water before install. 180 or 195, don't put in the 160, that's too cold unless your towing like hell or unless you don't like having heat.
Ok, I spun the fan again and it might make 1/2 a revolution after spun. Did the paper test and at first start up it wouldn't stick anywhere. after a few seconds it would stick dead center in the radiator. Move it to either side and it would push the paper away from the rad. When the body lift was put in the bottom of the shroud needed to be trimmed. it was just trimmed enough to clear the fan and no more. Would that affect its performance? Also as far as the gage goes. Today after driving it the gauge at 200deg. shut the truck of and immediately turn the key back on but didn't start the truck the gauge sat about 190-195. start it up and it climbs back to 200. The thermastat is brand new and it is a stant heavy duty 195deg. The temp gauge sending unit is new as well. I'm thinking the gauge may just be off a little.

Quick Reply: cooling fan question.