2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

high idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 05:28 AM
dvowicker
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high idle problem

alright i recently had alot of troubles with my headlights. so this evening i stayed up and rewired them and went through all of the headlight wiring to find a ground messed up i fixed the problem (i did unplug my battery) i then left my house to go get me a drink and when i did i noticed my truck was idling at 2000 rpm and would only come down to about 1200 in drive.i know the computer tries to relearn its self after battery disconnection so i had no worries. it never came down. it has snowed here recently and when i hit my brakes they lock up because the rear tires are trying to push me still because of my idle. i didnt touch the motor at all through this process all i did was removed the battery, battery tray, both headlights, headlight switch, mf switch and i unbolted the fuse box in the engine bay. i also unbolted this little box looking thing right next to the fuse box under the hood. its held on by one 8mm screw. any help would be appreciative.. btw truck ran fine before i started this deal tonight would idle around 750

Old 02-06-2011, 07:25 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it sounds like you may have broken a vacuum hose to the cruise control, which is under the battery.

locate that vac line, and plug it at the manifold to see if it fixes the problem. also make sure the cruise isn't pulling the throttle open.

Quick Reply: high idle problem