2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

multi spark ignition box.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 06:47 AM
dipsherry
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default multi spark ignition box.

so i got a few parts in my garage off the old drag car. I know i have seen someone on here who runs a multi spark box. My question is is it worth it at all if any gain. and hook up seems like it would be pretty straight forward. if so what box did you guys run.. i beleive mine is a 6al box (not a 100% sure)though

Old 02-06-2011, 10:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Box will beat up on plug wires, and various other ignition components, as it fires the plugs three times (instead of just once) for each "event", up to about 3000 RPM. after that, just once.

You won't see any horsepower gain out of it though. On my 'bird, what I DID see, was smoother idle, better throttle response, and quicker revving up to that 3000RPM line.

If you already have the box, and don't mind changing ignition parts more often, then you might like it.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:00 AM
99dodge318
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have heard of a check engine light that appears when you have a msd box is that true?

Old 02-06-2011, 11:17 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

+1 To eveything HeyYou said.

The MSD box will throw a "soft code" of P0351. A soft code doesn't throw a CEL, but does show up on a scanner, might be a problem for certain inspections. The racy adaptor p/n 8910 from MSD gets rid of that soft code permanently.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:19 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That's TACH adaptor, not racy adaptor, Android's native spell check is a little too aggressive.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:37 AM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 99dodge318
i have heard of a check engine light that appears when you have a msd box is that true?
Sometimes this is the case- yes. I like the Mallory ignition systems personally and tend to steer clear of MSD products like the plague due to their inherit loss of quality control on their electronic products.

It also depends on which type of ignition system module is in discussion. If it's simply a cap based, step up system that simply steps up the voltage, the issues can stem from cheap ignition wires that are NOT rated for the 40KV and > voltages thus, they tend to radiate into nearby EFI components thus fouling up the EFI system. The plugs also need to be matched to handled that voltage level to heat range. Most do handle the voltage but, some that use softer metals and cheaper insulators have a tendency to break down under use with that level of voltage or, gap opens up often. It also can break down the primary (input side) of the coil on OEM coils. A newer, high quality coil and high quality wires (www.magnacor.com) should be installed when using a step up ignition control module.

CM

Old 02-06-2011, 12:26 PM
dluepnitz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition control box

I used a Mallory digital control box Hyfire VI and was very happy. I would not recommend one if you are not using nitrous or forced air. It will burn up plug wires, plugs, and coils. I even went through an upgraded MSD coil. I finally used a can style Accel coil. Spark plugs will need to run a cooler temp range. Wires will need to be at least 7.5 but recommend 8mm. Oh most of all, I would not recommend mounting it in the cab like I did. They are noisy. Remember they are reacting to the signal being sent from the computer, so no matter what there is some retard to the timing. Daily driving will see little to no improvement. Performance, a huge improvement. Full burn of fuel helps reduce the possibility of detonation.

Last edited by dluepnitz; 02-06-2011 at 12:53 PM.

Quick Reply: multi spark ignition box.