2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel Line Removal Tool????

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 07:25 PM
kuziwr
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Line Removal Tool????

I watched a video on youtube the other day and the guy said he needed a "Fuel line removal tool" to take the fuel line off the fuel rail on the driver's side. Is there a way around using this tool, or will i need to get one?

P.S. I dont have a torque wrench that measures to the inch pound, can i do without this when I tighten the plenum plate bolts back on to the intake? Maybe just some lock-tight?

Thanks

Old 02-07-2011, 07:32 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the easiest thing to do is spend $5 on the cheap plastic version of the fuel line disconnect tool. if you make one, it will have to encircle the line, fit inside the bell shaped fitting, and depress all the little spring clips at once. its not worth it, just buy the cheap one.

i did my plenum with a foot pound wrench with no problem. i think??? the torque setting is 72 INCH pounds which is 6 FOOT pounds. so if you can measure about 6 FOOT pounds, you can do it. you can do it without a torque wrench if you use common sense and a feel for how tight 6 FOOT pounds is. its snug, but not real tight. you can probably error up to about 10-15 foot pounds before you risk overtightening and squeezing out the gasket.

edit - use blue threadlocker.

remember 12 INCH = 1 FOOT.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 02-07-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't recommend using a ft/lb wrench to do in/lb work, and here's why. Most torque wrenches (especially the cheap variety) have a poor degree of accuracy to begin with for the measurement they are designed for (ft/lbs or in/lbs). A good wrench will publish what their accuracy is within +/- some number (the lower the better), but most cheap wrenches won't even supply that info because it is so poor. Your accuracy will skew even more when you try to take a ft/lb wrench and use it for inch/lb work. I'd rather be off by 1 in/lb with a cheap in/lb torque wrench then to be off by 1 ft/lb (which is really 12 in/lbs) with a cheap ft/lb wrench. See how the same margin of accuracy affects your ft/lb use way more then your in/lb use. You could be off by a lot more then you think.

Quick Reply: Fuel Line Removal Tool????