2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

few questions for the muffler delete guys

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 10:26 PM
bfinley
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default few questions for the muffler delete guys

Ive searched and cant find what im lookin for. I want to go and get my muffler taken off and just replaced with a pipe tommarow, Ok question my cat is not goin to be removed just the muffler how loud is it? And is there any power gain what so ever?

Old 02-14-2011, 11:16 PM
dodgeramit_10
Veteran

Need more info. Do you have aftermarket exhaust? If you do and you have a high flow cat depending on the muffler it will be louder but to what extreme will very. Power gain wise you might loose some due to lack of back pressure, but it will keep your motor cooler. These facts are not set in stone it is based off of personal experience.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:54 PM
DDIRI
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this set up for awhile on my truck with the stock exhaust. It loses a lot of low end power. Which is no bueno if you pull or offroad. It isn't too much louder other than when its reving up high. Has a nice chug down low. I put my muffler back on to get through emissions. I left it on because for my style driving it gave me more useable power. I also saw about a 2 mpg increase.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:28 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't notice a power difference between the Flowmaster muffler, no muffler, two glass packs or just one glass pack.

Here's mine when I had a stock cat and no muffler. The pipes split off into duals right where the muffler used to be.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-AzVA_-DGo
Keep in mind that the 5.9l motor has a slightly different tone.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:38 AM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

Wow there is a big difference in the way your truck sounds with a cat and no muffler and mine with a gutted cat and no muffler.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:03 PM
bfinley

thanks guys that was some great info i went and got it done this morning and it sounds great not to loud but a good little rumble

Old 02-15-2011, 12:18 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you taken a sound clip or video of it yet? im curious to hear it, i may be doing this with my dual exhaust...

Old 02-15-2011, 12:23 PM
Kicker36
Rookie

Originally Posted by DDIRI
I had this set up for awhile on my truck with the stock exhaust. It loses a lot of low end power. Which is no bueno if you pull or offroad. It isn't too much louder other than when its reving up high. Has a nice chug down low. I put my muffler back on to get through emissions. I left it on because for my style driving it gave me more useable power. I also saw about a 2 mpg increase.
When i bought my truck last year, the exhaust was cut off at the back of the cab. But if I buy a muffler and some pipe i could be looking a better low end and hopefully some improved mgp?

Old 02-15-2011, 05:50 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kicker36
When i bought my truck last year, the exhaust was cut off at the back of the cab. But if I buy a muffler and some pipe i could be looking a better low end and hopefully some improved mgp?
If you still have the stock cat then I doubt it.

Quick Reply: few questions for the muffler delete guys