2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rust ?

Old 02-15-2011, 10:30 AM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust ?

Since I pulled my trans out and can't drive my truck I'd figured I'd start another project. My door seals leak and my floorboards are rusty. I'm going to strip them down and recoat them. I got new door seals and rockers also. I stripped the interior minus the dash and noticed since the rockers about gone it's started rotting the rocker channel behind the interior plastic. The only way to get at it good to strip it is to actually cut the sheetmetal off the side of the cab and I really don't want to do that. I can reach it somewhat through the rocker and opening in the cab. My question is what would you do if it were yours. Ive thought about pouring some rust bullet in there. Any thoughts on this?

Old 02-15-2011, 03:35 PM
junkyarddogfan
Amateur

cutting it out is the only real way...some have used a product called POR15 but eventually rust just eats it too, its like cancer...can't stop it unless u cut it all out
i have the same on mine, but have also noticed in looking around on craigslist and such that parted-out used rust-free cabs don't cost that much and aren't that hard to replace...

Old 02-15-2011, 03:50 PM
eshskis

cut it out and then flip to page 16 in your dodge lmc truck catalog and you will see the new panels are about 60.00

Old 02-15-2011, 04:40 PM
mackbarr1014
Professional

POR 15. Its the best. Easy to use, you can brush right out of the can and the leveling characteristics make it look like it was sprayed on. I suggest using their3 step process, I painted the whole under body of my truck using their process and had no problems. Just make sure you follow the prep directions and be careful. Once POR 15 dries there is no solvent to remove it so keep of your skin. I had paint on my hands, arms and face for a month even removing the skin with a lava and pumice stone every night. I took a little off of my spare with an angle grinder but it wasn't easy. If you decide to but POR 15 buy it from the directly very fast handling. good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rust ?