2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 10:32 PM
tatitup8
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust

So i already changed my exhaust twice.. i kinda like it now, but i heard my friends and i think i wanna change it again.. lol i have the 1999 dodge ram 5.2 318 with a magnaflow hiflow cat goin to a flowmaster 40 dual turndowns.. i want to know if i cut it behind the cat and put like a 5" turndown on there or something, if it will sound good? i want a real deep tone to it.. and also how much will it cost on average?

Old 02-15-2011, 10:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

The exhaust has to extend at LEAST past the back of the cab. If not, it could possibly cost you your life.

When I was working on my firebird, I had the exhaust off after the cat, and it sounded MEAN. I REALLY liked it..... however, no way in hell would I actually drive it that way.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:47 PM
tatitup8
Veteran

why wouldn't you? lol and my friend welded the cat on for me so its closer to the back of the cab.. but i know of tons of people down here with straight pipes or even just a cat.. so i never really thought itd be that bad of an idea?

Old 02-16-2011, 01:37 AM
smcandrew08
Professional

lol well even at the back of the cab your still getting exhaust fumes in your cab instead of at the back of the bed. I would say dump right before the axle is the closest you can get without being in danger but thats my opinion. People can run straight pipes but not let it out right below the feet of the people in the car. Its just not a good combo if you sit anywhere for a period of time...

Old 02-16-2011, 03:17 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

FWIW: I've had a couple of vehicles in which I dumped the exhaust too near the terminus of the passenger compartment. It's a very bad idea. The air swirling around under the vehicle is usually an unknown quantity and it has in my experience always brought that exhaust gas right in where the people got to breath it. Double-plus ungood.

Extending the pipes a bit netted no perceptible/measurable performance decrease but made it a lot easier to stay awake on the road.

Quick Reply: Exhaust