2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lost Brakes when Tail pipe came off

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 04:06 PM
amazine
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost Brakes when Tail pipe came off

http://s1110.photobucket.com/albums/...%20Ram%202500/

On my way to work, hit a pot hole and lost pedal on my brakes. I was able to nurse it to the employee lot, looked under saw the exhaust pipe laying on the axle with fluid dripping on the ground. I'm going to leave it there overnight and come back in the AM to work on it.
Broom,cardboard,cat litter,sockets,wrench,fluids,some new lines...what else do I need?

Thanks in advance, I'll post more pics when done.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:36 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

A new tailpipe?

Old 02-18-2011, 04:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,280 Likes on 3,027 Posts

a buddy to help you bleed out the brakes. Some penetrating fluid to get the bleeders loose without breaking them. Possibly a ride to the parts store when they do break, so you can get new wheel cylinders...... tools to take the tires off.....

Old 02-18-2011, 04:46 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

HeyYou is quicker than I am...

Eye protection. A friend or some contrivance (such as a pressure or vacuum bleeder, or a "one man bleeder") to assist in bleeding the brakes. Penetrating oil (I like CRC Freeze-Off) for those frozen fittings. EZ out for the fitting that breaks off. Plenty of rags or paper towels.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:03 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
a buddy to help you bleed out the brakes. Some penetrating fluid to get the bleeders loose without breaking them. Possibly a ride to the parts store when they do break, so you can get new wheel cylinders...... tools to take the tires off.....
Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
HeyYou is quicker than I am...

Eye protection. A friend or some contrivance (such as a pressure or vacuum bleeder, or a "one man bleeder") to assist in bleeding the brakes. Penetrating oil (I like CRC Freeze-Off) for those frozen fittings. EZ out for the fitting that breaks off. Plenty of rags or paper towels.
In other words, you need a tow truck! LOL That way you can take your time and do it right, in the comfort of your own driveway.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:10 PM
amazine

Copy that, tow truck! My buddies in here and telling me that the lot is gonna give me a hard time working on the truck. Decent weather this weekend should make the job a little easier.

thanks again!

Old 02-18-2011, 09:16 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

if you are getting it towed home and are going to be working on it in your driveway you may want to take a look at the other brake lines and maybe consider replacing them if the don't look too good.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:47 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
{ ... } you may want to take a look at the other brake lines and maybe consider replacing them { ... }
Heartily seconded! Every time I've had a blown brake line, at least one more came right on the heels of it. It's much better to just hit everything in the neighborhood all at once than to be running 45MPH toward a red light with cross traffic when the pedal falls to the floor.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:59 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Every time I've had a blown brake line, at least one more came right on the heels of it.
every time i replaced 1 line and not the other i would blow the other one while i was bleeding the brakes and the job takes twice as long as it would have if i had just replace everything from the start. brake line is cheap if you have the double flaring tool. i could replace all the steel brake lines on my truck for about $25.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:30 PM
amazine

The kick in the a** part is that I just replace the one over the gas tank. Holy cow is it windy today!

Quick Reply: Lost Brakes when Tail pipe came off