2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transfer case switch, and general questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 11:13 PM
byronpen
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer case switch, and general questions

OK a few question for you all. I bought my new transfer case, it a np231-hd, can anyone tell me what makes it heavy duty.

ok, what dose the transfer case switch do, my truck is vacuum, and the hoses are all tore up, can anyone point be to how to reinstall them, in the right order. Last question can you drive the truck with the hoses all tore up. and the vacume lines not working, And what will happen if you do.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:58 AM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

I'm not sure what makes it "heavy-duty" but as far as the lines go there should be 4, a red, black, green, and gray. The red and black ones go to the actuator on the front axle and the green is just a vent and the gray one supplies vaccine from motor. It hooks up on the passenger side rear of the motor. I actually made a similar post sometime back and if you can search my threads zman

Old 02-21-2011, 07:59 AM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

I'm not sure what makes it "heavy-duty" but as far as the lines go there should be 4, a red, black, green, and gray. The red and black ones go to the actuator on the front axle and the green is just a vent and the gray one supplies vaccine from motor. It hooks up on the passenger side rear of the motor. I actually made a similar post sometime back and if you can search my threads zman posted a diagram of the lines up. The only thing that will happen if you drive with them messed up is the 4wd won't work. That's all, not gonna damage anything.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:06 AM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

And as far as what the switch does, when you shift the tcase into 4wd there's a selector in side that rotates. On the end of the switch there's a ball that opens and shuts off the vaccum supply. When the selector rotates it pushes the ball up putting vaccum on the cad causing the collar to slide over and then you've got 4wd. I can't stress enough how awesome the 4x4 posi-loc kit is. Never have worries again.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:09 AM
byronpen
Veteran

I know that its alot to ask, can someone send me some picture of the hook up, byronpen@hotmail.com.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:03 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by byronpen
I know that its alot to ask, can someone send me some picture of the hook up, byronpen@hotmail.com.
Are you saying the hoses/lines that go to the switch are F'd up? If so good luck, those four hoses go into a rubber boot that connects to the switch one way only.

Quick Reply: Transfer case switch, and general questions