2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

looking for tranny cooler and temp any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 12:24 PM
dodgeman2289
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default looking for tranny cooler and temp guage kit

anyone have a website to get a good one with a temp guage included? been looking but i know other people have ther websites that ive never visited so anything will help thanks.

Last edited by dodgeman2289; 02-22-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:27 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Summit Racing. Huge selection of coolers and temp gauges.

I've got a Flex-A-Lite cooler rated at 28,000 GVW along with a PermaCool external transmission filter with a WIX filter. I also have a AutoMeter Sport Comp II transmission temperature gauge with the sender in the front test port. The highest temp I recorded was 210* when the transmission was new and we were pulling an 7,000 pound camper with the A/C on in 89* weather down Interstate 71. Since then, after my transmission was broken in, I have never seen the temp rise past 185* while pulling the camper. It usually stays around 160-175* while towing. Cruising around town in the summer with the A/C on, I manage to hit 150*. I am so impressed by this combo, I love it. I highly reccomend an external trans filter. This is the best durability modification I have done to my truck so far. But if I were to do it again, I'd get a ISSPRO full sweep gauge. I like my AutoMeter SCII, but I like the full sweep gauges better.

I also used a relay to power my gauge, its the only way to get the most precise readings from your gauges. Read Silver_Dodge's and Hometheaterman's adventures on putting in trans temp gauges, they have posted some great info.

Last edited by PurplDodge; 02-22-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:24 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A cooler with its own integrated fan and thermostat is by far the way to go, but it will cost a lot more then a traditional tube/fin or plate/fin style coolers, and mounting one in airflow is trickier then with a traditional cooler. If you go the traditional route, get the biggest cooler you can get. Trust me, i've tested this and have posted about here many times. I currently run a Flexalite rated for 32000 GVW. It was the only cooler I tested that actually made a noticable difference in operating temps and peak temps. Search, and you'll see my threads on this topic.

As for temp gauges, the sky is kinda the limit. Autometer for example sells about 20 different styles, from digital, full sweep, half sweep, different back colors and needles, etc... Then there are other brands too. Kinda just depends on what you want. I wanted a stock look, so i have the Autometer Z-series because it most closely matched the stock gauge cluster.

Lots of info on this topic in general if you do a seach.

Last edited by Silver_Dodge; 02-22-2011 at 04:31 PM.

Quick Reply: looking for tranny cooler and temp any ideas?