2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Another Dash/Heater Core Replacement thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 06:44 PM
aggiejet
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another Dash/Heater Core Replacement thread

I have spent most of the afternoon researching and searching the forum and internet and reading the Service Manual (posted under FAQ's) , looking for a solution to my cracked dash in my '98 Ram 1500. In addition, I think I need to replace my heater core as the heater doesn't put out hot air when the fan speed is on high. (according to Service Manual, should be about 140 degree air, only getting about 110 degrees now). I also am assuming that if I can pull the dash back like the DIY on this forum suggests, my dash is gonna fall apart.

After reading the service manual for replacing the Instrument Panel Cover (what we generally are regarding to as the dash) the procedures look pretty complicated because they want you to remove the Instrument Panel System. Additionally, I was a little perplexed to read in the same manual that when trying to replace the heater core, the manual directs you to remove the HVAC Housing, which requires you to remove the Instrument Panel system. So for starters, has anyone actually followed the Service manual when repalcing a heater core? Looks like a ridiculously laborious process. I can't believe "the shops" do it this way either.

I read the DIY on heater core replacement. Looks like someone has figured out how to replace the heater core without doing like the Service manual suggests. However, I have yet to find a thread on replacing the dash or Instrument Panel Cover as it is referred to in the Service Manual. Has anyone done this and where did they find the instuctions to do it? I found a replacement dash at this web site. Anyone try to use a similiar product?
http://www.sandkindustries.com/DASH.html

The dealer here in Tulsa,Ok wants about $550 for a new dash. I too am skeptical of buying another POS like the one that was installed at the factory. Also, at some point it doesn't make a lot of sense putting a lot of money into a 13 year old truck with 112K on it.

In summation, has anybody had any success replacing (not covering up) their "dash" and how did you do it?

Thanks,
Mark

Old 02-25-2011, 07:40 PM
ghost4321
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aggiejet
I also am assuming that if I can pull the dash back like the DIY on this forum suggests, my dash is gonna fall apart.
That may not be the case, there is a lot of bracing under there. Mine was full of cracks but had not started losing pieces yet, it did get a little worse after doing the heater core but it stayed together during the replacement.

I replaced the dash a few months later when it started falling apart. I removed the top and bottom bolts and let the dash roll toward the seats on the side bolts. I did have to remove the steering column to get it to move far enough. Then I used the new dash for reference to find all the screws. Not to hard but it did take all day. Make sure you disconnect the battery before removing the airbags and be gentle with them.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:24 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by aggiejet
The dealer here in Tulsa,Ok wants about $550 for a new dash. I too am skeptical of buying another POS like the one that was installed at the factory. Also, at some point it doesn't make a lot of sense putting a lot of money into a 13 year old truck with 112K on it.
I opted for a junkyard dash. Never ceases to amaze me of how well my truck was taken care of, but yet it cracked like a SOB. And at that, there are some in the junkyard that are in real good shape. My junkyard dash had two very small hairline cracks which i fixed, and drilled the end of them with a small drill bit to stop it. Its been almost a year and a half and its still good I couldn't see dropping that kind of money on a new dash either so my $20 fix was well worth it.

Original Dash

Junkyard dash

Last edited by pcfixerpro; 02-25-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:41 AM
gipperkid
Veteran

Figure about a 3 hour job. You may also have to swap your dash wiring harness. I have swapped two Dodge dashes. One in my 1994 and one in my 2000. Cake job for me though. But definatley use care when putting the dash back in. I did both by myself, but grab a buddy just be on the safe side. I didn't do this, but it helps if you remove the steering column to set the dash back in. Also take the dash out through the passenger side as well as install through the passenger side. Both of my dashes came from the salvage yard I work at.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:29 AM
aggiejet
Professional

Thanks for the replies. I called the local dodge salvage yard and told the guy that answered the phone what I was looking for and all he said was "so is everybody that owns a Dodge pickup." That kind of response really pisses me off. Just tell me you don't have one and I'll move on. Point being, I don't know if I can find one in a scrap yard. That seems to be the logical answer.

Also, it appears to me that you guys have just basically unbolted the dash and steering column that is posted on the DIY for the heater core and winged it from there as to what needs to be undone/unbolted. Is that about right?

When I do these projects I will try and take pictures. now whether or not I can post them will be a different story.

Thanks

Old 02-26-2011, 11:31 AM
aggiejet
Professional

Originally Posted by gipperkid
You may also have to swap your dash wiring harness.....Both of my dashes came from the salvage yard I work at.

Did you have to pull the dashes yourself, or they already pulled? And what wiring harnesses are you referring to that may need to be swapped? thanks

Last edited by aggiejet; 02-26-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:42 PM
ghost4321
Professional

Why did you have to swap the harness? Did you do the whole dash and not just the plastics?

Old 02-27-2011, 11:20 AM
aggiejet
Professional

Originally Posted by ghost4321
That may not be the case, there is a lot of bracing under there. Mine was full of cracks but had not started losing pieces yet, it did get a little worse after doing the heater core but it stayed together during the replacement.

I replaced the dash a few months later when it started falling apart. I removed the top and bottom bolts and let the dash roll toward the seats on the side bolts. I did have to remove the steering column to get it to move far enough. Then I used the new dash for reference to find all the screws. Not to hard but it did take all day. Make sure you disconnect the battery before removing the airbags and be gentle with them.
Ghost,

Where did you get your dash, and how much did you pay for it?

Old 02-27-2011, 08:40 PM
ghost4321
Professional

Got lucky and found one at the junkyard, 100ish for the top, bottom and gauge bezel. If you do get one from the junkyard get the ashtray too as they changed them slightly at some point.

Quick Reply: Another Dash/Heater Core Replacement thread