2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

can anyone explain this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 06:08 PM
Randy_W
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you had an oiling issue and the push rod spun it's self through the rocker like a drill, over time.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:15 AM
Ramshackle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drewactual
when yo say 'seized', do you mean the plunger thingy in the lifter froze or the lifter itself was pressed up and jammed into the cylindrical hole it's resting inside? If you mean the latter, you'd dang sure know it because that would mean a yoke is broken, which would mean there would be a loose piece of steel in your valley.. if it is because a lifters piston is stuck- that shouldn't be a big deal..
I haven't pulled the lifter because I'm trying to avoid pulling the intake. I'm going to try and test it from the outside first.

I read through that thread you started from from last month (thanks again Mad). Very interesting stuff. From that and from other ones I read, I'm getting that collapsed lifters seem to to be the most common issue where they fail to extend and push on the arm fully, causing a gap and ticking. My issue, if it turns out to be a lifter problem is either the much rarer extended lifter that didn't collapse or a blockage that prevented oil from going through the pushrod and drilled through the rocker (as Randy suggested). Then again your theory about it being collapsed and the cam shooting it like a projectile is interesting too, but to drive it through the rocker arm?

Well in any case I will find out soon enough and let you all know.

Have a feeling I'll be pulling my intake this weekend. Where did I set that bottle of JD at?

Last edited by Ramshackle; 03-10-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:26 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just about any liquor store.

Quick Reply: can anyone explain this?