2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

can anyone explain this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Ramshackle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default better pics

Name:  rockerarm5.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  83.0 KB

Name:  rockerarm6.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  96.8 KB

Name:  rockerarm7.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  126.6 KB

Old 03-09-2011, 12:23 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mad_Scientist
I have heard of lifter removal the way you stated (with a long magnet); but the general consensus in this forum has been that it doesnt work, and pulling the intake is necessary.
On some flat tappet motors that will work but with roller lifters I don't think so.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:58 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

After looking at those new pics, i see the pushrod rammed its way through that rocker.... dunno why i didnt see it before . Im gonna go with unreg and say the lifter siezed (its still possible that the valve got piston tapped though).

Could also be that the lifter stopped pumping oil through the pushrod; and the friction made it eat its way through (which would also warrant lifter replacement)

In the original pics the rocker looked bent (at least on my screen anyway); thats what I thought you were referring to when you stated it "manufactured a new part"

Edit: whats the bottom of the pushrod look like?

Last edited by Mad_Scientist; 03-09-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

I didn't think the lifters would fit thru the holes available on the heads, with the intake in place?

Old 03-09-2011, 01:15 PM
Randy_W
Professional

Was it making noise before it failed? You can put a new push rod and rocker on there and turn it by hand and see if they all work the same, if they do your lifter is likely o.k. If not then you got a problem. If it's stuck fully pumped, which I've never seen, it will be difficult to turn by hand.

However, as stated, if it's under warranty of course, let them handle it.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Ramshackle
Default bummer update

Well Jasper is in the clear. Looks like I'm about 3 weeks past the warranty period. How effin perfect is that? Here's a link for a tool that I saw for pulling lifters through the head:

http://www.toolfetch.com/Category/Au...ols/KD2114.htm

but like HeyYou said I don't think they will fit through the head on this engine. I'm going to go look when it stops raining.

The rocker arm has no visible deformation (other than a pushrod jammed into its wahoo!). No gouges, etc. I shined a lite through the pushrod and no obstructions. Also I put a straightedge on the pushrod and its flat all the way around. Also with less than 30k on a rebuilt...oh sorry Jasper...remanufactured engine that I've maintained and not abused, leads me to want to believe this was just a fluke rocker defect as Randy opinionated.

Then again, the price for being wrong is pretty steep.

So here's my plan:

1.get a new pushrod and perform the manual tests (pushing on the lifter, turning the crank,etc) BTW thanks Mad - I found that post from Drewactual I think you were describing here
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...s-lifters.html

2.If the lifter passes those then try a crank-only test (I'll rig up a remote starter so I can observe from the engine compartment).

3.Then I'll test the cam lobe with a dial indicator on the pushrod using a procedure I found in the Haynes manual.

4. If that's ok then install rocker arm (to provide load on the lifter) and repeat manual and crank tests.

5. and finally, full test with air, fuel, and fire.

If any tests fail, I pull the intake and curse Jasper while lubing my own lifters with Jack Daniels (Drewactual recommends Capt Morgan but I don't like rum)

What do you guys think?

Old 03-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain

Originally Posted by Ramshackle

So here's my plan:

1.get a new pushrod and perform the manual tests (pushing on the lifter, turning the crank,etc) BTW thanks Mad - I found that post from Drewactual I think you were describing here
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...s-lifters.html

2.If the lifter passes those then try a crank-only test (I'll rig up a remote starter so I can observe from the engine compartment).

3.Then I'll test the cam lobe with a dial indicator on the pushrod using a procedure I found in the Haynes manual.

4. If that's ok then install rocker arm (to provide load on the lifter) and repeat manual and crank tests.

5. and finally, full test with air, fuel, and fire.

If any tests fail, I pull the intake and curse Jasper while lubing my own lifters with Jack Daniels (Drewactual recommends Capt Morgan but I don't like rum)

What do you guys think?

Not the exact post I was describing (mine had video, and was dealing with drewactual's truck); but it does describe the procedure in far greater detail than I was able to, and thus, will suffice.

Good Luck

Old 03-09-2011, 03:18 PM
Randy_W
Professional

If you get as far as the crank test, make sure it's oiling.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain

Found it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl9oDaMLCME

its part of this thread (post#69), which has a lot of good info:

https://dodgeforum.com.....html

Last edited by Mad_Scientist; 03-09-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:37 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it would be nice if you could pull the lifters through the heads, but you can't on these engines..

under the keg is a spider retainer, which holds the lifter yokes on/in place... those lifters ain't goin' nowhere without the spider and the yokes removed..

when yo say 'seized', do you mean the plunger thingy in the lifter froze or the lifter itself was pressed up and jammed into the cylindrical hole it's resting inside? If you mean the latter, you'd dang sure know it because that would mean a yoke is broken, which would mean there would be a loose piece of steel in your valley.. if it is because a lifters piston is stuck- that shouldn't be a big deal..

if the lifters piston was stuck at the bottom of its travel, you could certainly get enough loose tolerance to smack that lifter rod straight into to bottom of that rocker.. the cam would basically launch that thing like a tiny missile, because of the clearance allowing it to do so, no? Seems you would hear that for certain though..

Quick Reply: can anyone explain this?