2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need front axle info

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 05:20 PM
RebelChewer
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need front axle info

I've got a 95 dodge ram 1500, 3:55 gears, dana 44 front axle, does anyone know if the axle shaft is always spinning on the drivers side and not on the passengers side when not in 4wd? i want to cut the axle shafts and drive for awhile like that until i find another axle. I'm looking for as much info as possible, thanks.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Both axle shafts are spinning when you're driving, the drivers side is actually engaging the carrier, whereas the passenger stub shaft just spins freely until locked in (I.e. you put it in 4x4)

Old 03-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you want to do? The stubshaft, u-joint and outer axle shafts on both sides are attached to the bearing and spin all the time. The intermediate shaft and front driveshaft will not move when the cad is disengaged.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:25 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

assuming you have some kind of damaged cad, or broken carrier or broken axle or some other carnage.... if you want to remove the axles and drive without them, then pull them out and remove the axle u-joints to separate the stub shaft from the inner section. then reinstall the stub shafts in the knuckle/bearings and plug the axle tube to keep out water and mud and keep the oil in. you'd also need to clean the axle tubes thoroughly or else your diff oil will pick up all the dirt in the tubes since you won't have a seal around the axle down deep in the tube.

why would you want to run w/o front axles?

Quick Reply: Need front axle info