2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What are the differences between these two

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 08:15 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What are the differences between these two

hey guys. im looking at cams once again. i didnt get them at tax time, even though i got 4300 back. tires, hughes kit and other various items were purchased instead. anyways, im at the point where i can afford it now. well the wife can, haha. i would like to know the differences between these two cams. cam one, cam two. i know i need new lifters, springs, locks/retainers, assembly lube, timing chain, wp, and a good tune(sct). going with mopar valve covers, hs 1.7's and headers to wrap it all up. its going to be installed when the weather gets warmer. thanks guys, i appreciate it!

Old 03-07-2011, 08:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Second cam has a bit higher duration @.050, and has its operating range a few RPM higher. I would go with the second one. Combined with the rockers, it will give you some nice ooomph, and won't die above 3K RPM.

Might be able to use your old lifters, but, if you have the cash, and the originals have a bunch of miles on 'em..... go ahead and replace them.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:01 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Second cam has a bit higher duration @.050, and has its operating range a few RPM higher. I would go with the second one. Combined with the rockers, it will give you some nice ooomph, and won't die above 3K RPM.

Might be able to use your old lifters, but, if you have the cash, and the originals have a bunch of miles on 'em..... go ahead and replace them.
forgot to mention that i have a 5.2, and i was wondering about valve to piston clearance. i have been reading some threads the last couple days that i may have problems with clearance with a cam and the 1.7's. would a different stall tc help with planting the power better?

Old 03-07-2011, 10:50 PM
dodgeram07
Champion

5.2 has falt top piston so clearance problems come to play a little faster than the 5.9 dish top pistons

if it was me 1.7rr only

but if you want a cam go with the 206, that frist one, it alot better 4x4 cam

now i dont think i would be doing both cam and 1.7ratio rockers on a 5.2

you may get bye with both but i would do sum math

just my .02 cents

Old 03-07-2011, 10:53 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I would buy some nice 1.6RRs and sell the 1.7RRs to me for cheap...

Old 03-07-2011, 11:09 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by jasonw
I would buy some nice 1.6RRs and sell the 1.7RRs to me for cheap...
dont have the 1.7's yet. waiting a few more weeks to get them. the stock rockers arent roller are they? how much power would i not get if i went with just cam only and no 1.7's?

Old 03-08-2011, 09:41 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

You would probably see better results with just the rockers, than just the cam.

Reason I suggested the second cam is, the first one starts off around 700 RPM. That is pretty flippin' low...... considering the torque converter slips at lower rpm, going with the slightly larger cam, (thus raising the bottom of the curve to around 1000 RPM) keeps the power more in line with an automatic equipped truck. (and you won't sacrifice as much top end.....)

Old 03-08-2011, 09:05 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

from what you have in your sig i would go 1) SCT tuner 2)1.7HS 3) airgap there all easy and good power adders too open our magnum motors. if you have more money to play around after that do fastman and a 14x3 . seriously you would be more than enought happy for a 4x4 with that.

or you can skip all that and go 4.56 or 4.10s

Old 03-08-2011, 10:06 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by lastrights
from what you have in your sig i would go 1) SCT tuner 2)1.7HS 3) airgap there all easy and good power adders too open our magnum motors. if you have more money to play around after that do fastman and a 14x3 . seriously you would be more than enought happy for a 4x4 with that.

or you can skip all that and go 4.56 or 4.10s
well, i need to update my sig then, haha. i got a superchips tuner for free and have that installed, and i also have a 14x3 installed as well, which i got for free too!! are the 1.7's more efficient than a cam would be? im going to be buying a ~25' camper this summer, and i also plow tons in the winter. i have an 8' fisher on my truck so power is kinda needed in the lower rpms, that and i really love the sound of a lopey idle too!

Old 03-08-2011, 10:17 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if your towing gears are a must , or your going to be frying up your motor and tranny other wise .

i had superchips too and sct walked all over it . i would spend the 265 on sct, i sold my superchips on craigslist for 250 with someone that had a hemi truck .

Quick Reply: What are the differences between these two