2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Am I paranoid or do I have a problem(s)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 11:21 PM
kazslo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I paranoid or do I have a problem(s)?

I have 180k, and am about to take a 2500 mi drive with a decent amount of cargo early next month, so I want everything in order...no funny sounds, but the following observations:

-Looking at how everyone says their plenum was bad at one point, I took a peek down my tb. There is a small amount of oil, but I can still see the metal under it. Not sure if plate was ever replaced.
-I get about 10mpg, not sure if its good/bad/normal
-At about 45 mph, the rpm jumps up quick before shifting
-To get in Drive, I have to move the bar between D and 2, every other gear is right on point.

Does anyone see any issues with the things above, or am I just being paranoid? The last time I took this drive my explorer blew into flames, so I want to be sure everything is in order. Any suggestions on preventative maintenance besides the obvious liquids changes?

Old 03-11-2011, 11:53 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Given that you're getting only 10MPG out of a 2WD, something's not quite right. Could be the plenum, could be oversized or underpressurized tires, could be serious need of a tune up, could even be really crappy gas -- too much ethanol will do that. For the plenum: Grab a vacuum/pressure gauge and do the test in the TSB that's found in the 2nd Gen Ram FAQ section here.

The flaring on upshifts is a transmission that's tired. Maybe a fluid/filter change with a band adjustment will fix it, maybe it won't. Maybe a new governor pressure solenoid and sensor at the same time would do the trick, maybe it wouldn't. If those things don't work, well, I'd not want to be riding with you unless I had another ride to get home.

The shifter thing is either a linkage problem or a worn rooster comb inside the transmission, more likely a linkage problem. Does the shifter pop into place normally and it's just the indicator that's off, or do you have to move the shifter to a spot that feels like it's between gears?

I think you're right to be concerned.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:08 AM
bekins01ram
Veteran

cough *exploder* cough

Old 03-12-2011, 07:51 AM
Randy_W
Professional

My transmission/convertor were acting similar to yours, I reset the pcm by removing and cleaning the terminals on the battery and also cleaned the tb. My funky shifting went away and I went from 10.7 mpg in town to 13.5 and from 13.7 highway to 16.6. The truck runs great and shifts as it should. Mine has 178k miles and doesn't use any oil and doesn't ping, so far.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:53 AM
Randy_W
Professional

But, always remember, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you!

Quick Reply: Am I paranoid or do I have a problem(s)?