2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

air-raid

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 08:01 PM
bamory
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default air-raid

After doing some research I decided to go with the Air-Raid system, I will make a few mods to the system by diverting air directly on the filter, i was reading some posts from other site and a few pics and it seems like a good idea, plastic/rubber inserts on both sides of the radiator and a pipe directing air from that point directly to the filter, after i get it all setup I will post some pics

Old 06-26-2005, 11:24 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: air-raid

Get a K&N FIPK instead. I had the Airaid setup for about 6 months, and I found that all it does is suck in hot air off the exhaust manifold. I had to custom fabricate a heat sheild to stop that, then I felt like it performed ok. For almost the same price, the K&N comes with a great heat sheild, plus it locates the filter much more to the front so it sucks in air coming right in the grill (if you remove the rubber radiator flap on that side). By the way, you don't want to remove both flaps. One of the reasons those are there is to prevent hard gusts (like when a large truck passes you on the highway going the other direction) from blowing your hood open.

Trust me, I have had both, and the K&N is much better. It looks a lot better too.

Old 06-27-2005, 12:04 AM
bamory
Captain

I will be modding my Airaid, wont come close to heat, will have a direct feed of cold air...will take some pics when Im done, plan on wrapping tube with steam pipe wrap...silver coated outside, should be a nice setup...cheapest I saw K&N was 280+ dollars 179.00 for Airaid and honestly only this i see is the box that is different, K&N can get heatsoaked in the pipe just as easy, will post results, should be fun doing this, AND IM NOT REMOVING FLAP, just going through it

Old 06-27-2005, 01:33 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds good, but there is a lot more that is different then just the box, I have owned both. Alos, I got my K&N for $210.

I agree about the heat saturation on the pipe, but I made a small custom heat shield that put an end to that.
Can't wait to see what you design. I have also been seing a lot of people doing a setup that has tubes running up from the stock foglight holes directly into a ram air box, like the one in the attached pic.

Good luck, and definetly post pics.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9095/4377D6E76E1F4210B1AAF74E79C9C78B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-27-2005, 01:51 AM
bamory
Captain

That pic looks awesome, I will do 1 of 2 things, either tap 4" hole in the radiator shield with tubing running directly to the CAI so its always gettin a blast of fresh air, or put an elbow on and run it down there and still cut the hole, and wrap the intake pipe with insulation....i will have to take a step back once I get it all around, just wanted to put a little home-made touch to it try and improve....I couldnt find a K&N for under 280.00....or i may have gotten one, maybe I shoulda bought your old airaid

Quick Reply: air-raid