2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

8 mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 08:44 PM
Smashed-And-RAM
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 10-16 was a guestimate. Since I got 8 mpg overall city/highway I guess that I was doing more city than highway, so I figured that's what killed my overall mileage. I are smart, yet math no my good thing. hehe

Old 03-13-2011, 09:28 PM
saleen288
Rookie

do both the o2's affect gas mileage or just the upstream one?

Old 03-13-2011, 09:37 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Just the upstream unit, it helps the PCM control the air/fuel ratio. The downstream unit just tells the PCM if the catalytic converter is behaving or not. If you don't have a CEL with a code for the downstream sensor, leave it be.

When was the last time you did a general tuneup of the vehicle (plugs, cap, rotor, wires)?

Just because the test is good doesn't mean the plenum gasket is good. So many times on this forum have people did the dealership specified test, the test said everything is fine, and then they opened her up and found a slow leak or worse. Sometimes its correct and the gasket hasn't blown yet, but not usually.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:06 PM
Smashed-And-RAM
Professional

I haven't done a tune up yet. I got the truck about a month ago and I've been chasing emissions gremlins ever since I got it. Now that emissions testing is behind me I am slowly getting into doing everything else. Going to do that next month along with the plenum gasket/o2 sensors.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:54 AM
FireDodge
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I first bought mine about 7 months ago, I was getting about 10mpgs. Then I decided to put the truck in mud up to the headlights. Turns out the previous owner decided not to tighten up the plugs like at all... when I did a tune up I started getting 10-11 again... Now with new O2 sensors, plenum, plugs, wires, cap, and rotor, I'm getting around 12-13...