2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

best and cheapest way to do 3inch lift on 2wd 1500

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 05:29 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awe come on, I lifted my truck the first time so I could fit bigger tires, went with M/T's so that I could go pretty much anywhere I wanted(now when I say this I mean if I see a dirtroad or a lake a little ways aways I can make it there without worrying about some wet grass or loose dirt in the way) its no mudding machine

The second lift was purely looks, and the fact I hated having to look up to people driving stock ford F250's, and also will be able to clear 35's

My truck rides so much better than stock on road and offroad, the bigger tires have more give to suck in small bumps, the lift springs handle bumps better without bottoming out and the new shocks keep eveything smooth.

Now the best way to lift is up to you and what you plan to do, if your just looking at height for looks and want to keep the stock ride, spindles would be the best suspension choice IMO, but body lift is quite a bit cheaper and requires some welding

If your looking at a lift for better comfort offroad(ie- dirtroads) I would go with the springs and control arms for 3in or just springs for 2in or 2.5in, if ride is what your looking for shocks will be on that list

Old 03-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigRedOne
I think Off roading in 4WD is kinda pointless.. Lifting ANY truck is just for looks.
That's because you really only understand one type of off-roading. Desert trucks would be laughable in other off-road situations, some of which definitely require 4wd and lifts.

By the way, doesn't your 2wd Ram have a spindle lift on it? Appears that the Exploder in your sig has some lift as well. Was that just for looks then?

Last edited by Silver_Dodge; 03-16-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:42 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There isnt anything pointless about lifting ANY truck. Lifting a 2WD is just as practical as lifting a 4X4. I dont offroad my truck for fun very often, but my job requires me to drive on rough terrain. But unless it rains, I have no need for 4WD, and even when it rains, I cant do my job anyways. But I dont want my transmission crossmember dragging on the ground because my 2WD is 2" lower than a 4WD, and its "pointless" to lift it. You cant claim ANYTHING is pointless unless you have dealt with it before...just my opinion

Old 03-17-2011, 09:24 AM
dipsherry
Record Breaker

i wouldnt say lifting a 2wd is completely pointless we all have our reasoning , looks, work, driving conditions i have had a few times when pulling the mud truck to the trails that i have had to get through some crappy roads that stock heights would bottom out and street tires would sink themselves with 7500lb trailer

Old 03-17-2011, 02:50 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion

Shoot I just went fishing yesterday at a spot I wouldnt have made to at stock height, theres a mini levee I had to go over

Plus when others stick to the main trail I can creep away and there some places they try to close down around here and it just takes a couple more minutes to find a way around

Old 03-18-2011, 03:17 PM
dipsherry
Record Breaker

ok time to pull my foot out of my mouth....i had to go get dirt today i can tell you one thing stock my truck would not of held the 4950 lbs of dirt and i know i would of been stuck right here...lifted it road ok and i pulled right through this slop hole next to the house...this pic was the "flat ground"....it looks like i am sunk i am but about 3 feet back i had the wheels up to the lugs lol pulled right out.

Name:  2011-03-18100823.jpg
Views: 1171
Size:  173.6 KB

Old 03-29-2011, 08:08 PM
tcowell
Amateur

Why would you waste money on a 2wd. Real trucks are 4x4

Old 03-29-2011, 08:21 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tcowell
Why would you waste money on a 2wd. Real trucks are 4x4
Thats just an attempt to start a fight.

4x2s have their uses. For example, 4x2s can usually pull/tow a little bit more than an equivalent 4x4.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:45 PM
txdrewski

Fuel mileage is another pro of 2wd.. gas isnt cheap as we all know and the 1 or maybe 2 times i REALLY needed a 4wd certainly does not make up for the fuel i would expend to drive one daily like i do my 2wd.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:38 AM
redheadhunter21
Champion

Real trucks dont need 4wd, if you need 4x4 its usually because the driver is inadequate and f^cks up, but its always nice to have the safety factor

And I can go places with my truck your 4x4 wont make it

Quick Reply: best and cheapest way to do 3inch lift on 2wd 1500