2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

intermittent miss or quit

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 04:25 PM
Granta1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intermittent miss or quit

Any idea's please? 2000 1500 2wd 5.2 215,000 miles. started a couple months back, every few days driving down the road, as if for a split second the engine was cut off, then everything normal. It is very startling when it does it, noticeable to everyone in the truck. It has progressively gotten more often and now is several times a day. Computer has no codes, stored or pending. Fuel pressure is 47 psi sitting at idle in my drive. Runs perfect the rest of the time. It is original fuel pump and that has been concerning me for a while with the high mileage.
It feels as though I'm waiting for the day it just stops. Want to find it before I'm stranded. Please toss out ideas. I'm desperate.
Thanks
Bob

Old 03-15-2011, 05:08 PM
Smashed-And-RAM
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like a fuel delivery issue to me. Maybe fuel pump, maybe fuel filter? I had a different vehicle with a faulty fuel pressure regulator that was giving me good readings at idle, but when I put a load on it the pressure never changed. I'm sure someone else will probably chime in with a better way of testing, lol.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

Take a look at the ASD relay, swap it with the wiper relay, and see if the problem goes away.

Quick Reply: intermittent miss or quit