2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need help with 4wd Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 08:40 PM
97dodgeram97
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with 4wd Please

Hey guys im new to the site, I read alot of post that help me with other problems on this site and it seems people on here respond very quickly so I wanted to be a member...

Here is whats going on I have a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD

I would put the truck in 4wd and the 4WD dash lite would come on but the truck would only go in sometimes other times my front diff would clank and my front axles wouldnt engage,

So I checked the vacuum at the actuator it has strong vacuum and switches sides when I put it in 4wd like normal, So I pulled out the actuator and tested it the fork moved perfect very stiff when engaged BUT the fork itself was really warn and damaged, So I replaced the fork with a new one from dodge about an hour ago and as soon as I istalled the 4wd actuator and started the truck my 4wd lite was on but the shifter was in 2wd

So I put the shifter in 4hi and tested it out on some soft dirt the 4wd works perfect now but when I shift it into 2wd the lite stays on and has never done that before

I got under the truck started it left the shifter in 2wd and checked the front driveshaft and it spins freeley so i moved the shifter into 4hi and the front driveshaft was locked up like its supposed to. So the transfer case is engaging and disengaging like normal but it seems like my front axles are still locked and causing my lite to stay on

What can I check for??

Old 03-20-2011, 12:14 AM
slicedtomatoes
Rookie

i wonder if the cad bushing/collar that the fork rides on are sticking or worn out also being as your fork was worn

Old 03-20-2011, 09:20 PM
alegar
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the 4x4 light is controlled by a plunger switch attached to the cad unit. That switch may be damaged or stuck. I would try that first.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:43 PM
97dodgeram97

Got it fixed guys, I wasnt paying attention and put the shift fork on backwards

4wd works great will post pic of the offroading later on, thanks for the suggestions

Old 03-21-2011, 08:32 PM
slicedtomatoes
Rookie

awesome