2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

setting drag

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 11:12 PM
killacoon1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default setting drag

97 ram 1500 dana 44 ok.. im almost done with this job got a newfront pinion crush sleeve from dealer i cant find any posts or anything in manuals about how to tighten this thing up.. i dont know what preload or drag is so this has to be simple... all i know is that i need to put the pinion in ,, put in my carrier and torque to 80 ft lbs.. i have no clue from here on tightening the pinion nut i have a torque wrench that goes to 150 i have to finish this my self my truck is on jack stands and cant take in any where any help would be appreciated step by step would be nice

Old 03-24-2011, 09:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

If you don't have the Factory Service Manual from the FAQ section yet, grab it.

On page 3-25, it lists torque values there. This would be torque require to turn the pinion once it is tightened down.

Old Bearings: 10 - 20 inch pounds.
New Bearings: 15 - 35 inch pounds.

Trouble is, getting that crush sleeve to start crushing..... takes a LOT of torque...... So, tighten it down some, till the slop is gone, check rotational torque, repeat as necessary till you get it within spec. If you go over..... replace the crush sleeve, and start over again.

Quick Reply: setting drag