2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

fuel pump recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 11:29 AM
azffighter
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump recommendations

My truck isn't starting and was told by my neighbor that it was the fuel pump. My truck has close to 220k miles so I'm sure it's due. Was on ebay looking for a new one and ran across this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-...Q5fAccessories

Is this pump okay or does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks for all your help.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:46 AM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The #1 way to check if a fuel pump is bad is to turn the key to on and listen to the fuel tank area. Usually when the pump is good, you'll here it make a "rhhhhhrrrr" sound for a few seconds. If it doesnt do that, yeah the fuel pump is bad.

I got my fuel pump from NAPA. Its a Carter made by Federal Mogul....Who also made the factory pumps in our trucks. Its expensive at $200, but a fuel pump isnt something to go cheap on, because its not in the most accessable place.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:28 PM
duvaldodge
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would wait till you know for sure your fuel pump wont work you can do this, take your old one out get a small battery charger like a 12v lawmower battery charger or something you have around cut the wires but leave the plug in the pump hook up the power wires to the red charging cables and make sure you ground everything, (don't tell me this doesn't work because ive done it ) if your fuel pump turns on you know you got a wiring or power problem, a power tester would be a more efficent way of doing this by simply testing the wires by fuel pump, it could be the fuel pump plug itself, when my fuel pump cut out i did this and got it to work, after re-hooking up my pump wires it magically started working normaly.just a suggestion.....

Quick Reply: fuel pump recommendations