2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Another plenum

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 08:16 PM
comptz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another plenum

Well the plenum gasket finally blew out on the 96 318. I have the hughes kit with new intake bolts ordered, new intake gaskets, new pre cat oxygen sensor and jegs off road y-pipe ordered. I am already running a 180 thermostat. Is there anything else i need to order to replace my plenum gasket?

Old 03-26-2011, 08:25 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Bypass hose and injector orings , if you plan on removing the fuel rail.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:34 PM
bekins01ram
Veteran

Well that depends on how far you plan to go. I took off my throttle body to clean it when i did the plenum, so I needed/ wanted a new throttle body gasket.

Also, I wasn't too fond of the plenum bolts hanging above the lifter valley, without some thread lock on the bolts while installing. OFC, they are torqued down, and shouldn't loosen, but i feel better after using thread lock. Kind of on that same subject, I didn't do it, but it wouldnt hurt is some electrical grease on a few of the electrical connections/ sensor plugs to keep any moisture from causing issues.

The one thing I did forget and have to run back to the store for though, was brake parts cleaner. I had 2,3 cans on hand, thinking it'd be enough, but by the time i got done, I'd gone thru 6 cans.

If you decide to remove your injectors, like I've read some people doing, you will likely need new o-rings to be sure the injectors get seated properly back into the intake.

Ofc, most of the above isn't needed if you do it the easy way. If you don't pull the injectors or throttle body off, no need for those items.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:35 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like your good to go man, its easy to do the cap and rotor at that time also if you would want too.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:41 PM
TLars
Rookie

I did the timing set and new water pump while right there at it. Then got a wild hair for the e-fan conversion too. It boosted my mpg to 14+ now with mixed driving.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:50 PM
comptz

I have already done the e-fan setup, 180 t-stat, msd wires and coil, accel cap and rotor, spectre cold air intake, Im going to clean the throttle body and intake before i put it all back together. How much longer does it take to do the timing chain?

Old 03-26-2011, 11:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Another hour or so. Most of which will be spent cleaning gasket surfaces. Careful with the bottom two bolts, and taking off the timing cover, don't screw up the oil pan gasket.

Quick Reply: Another plenum