2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

sonar/spyder projector wiring help needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 06:46 AM
crucialcolin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sonar/spyder projector wiring/HID help needed

A friend of mine got some new Spyder Projector headlamps for his regular(2 headlamp system) 99 RAM replacing old busted and fogged over stock lights.

So now I'm trying to figure out how to wire these things up. Out of the box they seemed to be pretty plug an play wired up with a single connector that plugs into the stock ram headlamp plug. However when we plugged them in to test them we noticed that when you switch on the high beams(reflector part) the projectors(low beam) dim making the lights useless.

The question is how can we change the wiring to keep the low beam or projector part of the housing from dimming when turning on the high beams?

Also the plan is to shortly upgrade to HIDs for the projector part of the housing while leaving the high beams in the reflectors halogen. I was thinking of using a relay to power the HIDs that would be triggered on (switched) by the low beam wire of the stock ram wiring harness. Problem is if voltage is reduced when you enable the high beams I'm not so sure the relay will stay in its on state.

Lastly what HID would you go with 35w or 55w for the projector H1 bulb? Most likely going with DDMtuning at 4500k(white). I have a 35w kit in my own truck which I find to be good enough however I don't have projectors. Mostly I'm just worried a 55w might be to much for the housing. I noticed DDM states 55w is not recommended for smaller housings due to increased heat which is odd considering my VVME 35w kit runs cool.

Any advice on how to make this work would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Last edited by crucialcolin; 03-29-2011 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:05 AM
crucialcolin

Update did some more searching and it sounds like it just a problem with the new lights and I need to swap the blue and black wires.
ex: think HG1 posted this.

Also does anyone know what the color of wire is for low beams on the stock wiring harness? Might just tap into it up near the battery to trigger a relay i plan to install in that general area for HIDs. If not I suppose I can allways look later(has to be whatever red plugs into on the new headlamps).

Sounds like mainly I have to decide between 35w or 55w HIDs for the projectors now

Last edited by crucialcolin; 03-29-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

According to the 01 service manual..... (not sure how accurate that will be for the truck you are working on....) Low beam wire is Violet with White trace. High beam is Red with Orange trace.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:18 PM
crucialcolin

That sounds about right. I pretty sure I remember seeing a purple with stripe in there. Thanks

Quick Reply: sonar/spyder projector wiring help needed