2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Major Transmission killers...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 08:23 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
You want the #1 reason? Lack of maintenance.
I agree, Purpl.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:06 AM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This.... not me but good times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuxKTylhhi4

Old 04-03-2011, 10:08 AM
tuski
Professional

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
You want the #1 reason? Lack of maintenance.
So if you take care of em, you can cut down on a lot of common problems that people have, that neglect doing regular maintenance?

Seems like common sense doesn't it?

Old 04-03-2011, 12:15 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tuski
So if you take care of em, you can cut down on a lot of common problems that people have, that neglect doing regular maintenance?

Seems like common sense doesn't it?
Yes, that's just common sense. Many people don't that now days.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:56 PM
kuziwr
Rookie

So would it be worth it to take to a trans shop and have them adjust the bands, replace the check valve, and i was reading yesterday in the manual that you need to have the "t.v cable" throttle cable adjusted as well every so often throughout your trucks life. Would it be worth it?

Old 04-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kuziwr
So would it be worth it to take to a trans shop and have them adjust the bands, replace the check valve, and i was reading yesterday in the manual that you need to have the "t.v cable" throttle cable adjusted as well every so often throughout your trucks life. Would it be worth it?
Band adjustment is important, REMOVE the check valve (theres a diy in the faqs for that). TV cable adjustment is fairly simple, and is pretty important.

As a general rule, don't have them flush the trans unless you know for a fact that it has been maintained fairly well. If it has been neglected (i.e. not flushed regularly) simply change the filter and fluid that is present in the pan (6 quarts if memory serves).

To adjust TV cable:
Remove air hat, and locate the tv cable (passenger side of throttle body, on throttle plate. It's the cable closest to the cabin). It should have a white plastic tab on the "body thingy" (technical, I know. It's a black cylinder held by the cable bracket). Remove the tab.

Here's where it gets tricky: grab the cable from the back of the "body" (you'll know what I'm talking about when you see it). Pushing the cable forward results in softer shifts at lower rpm. Pulling back has the opposite effect. Moving the cable 1/8 of an inch will result in a noticeable change.

Best way to go about it is to move it by a hairs breadth, and test drive between adjustments until you have it where you want it (ideal shift is smooth and fast. Get the tranny off of the clutches as fast as possible). Removal of the airhat is not necessary once you know what you're looking for/doing.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:54 PM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by DukesOfHazzard
This.... not me but good times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuxKTylhhi4
Nothin wrong with a little fun lol

Old 04-03-2011, 04:27 PM
kuziwr
Rookie

Is the band adjustment hard?

Old 04-03-2011, 04:49 PM
tuski
Professional

Is it a bad idea to get a flush and filter change if you haven't had it done for a long time? I haven't had any problems with mine, and I'm just looking to keep it that way. And thinking about a flush and filter change just for regular maintenance.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:50 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

here is something so butt **** simple I'm really surprised nobody has said it yet:

when starting the truck after it's been sitting a few hours, always drop it in gear and wait a few seconds before taking your foot of the brake to move..

and another really important one: when moving in reverse, come to a complete stop before moving the shift to a forward gear.. and the same for forward; come to a COMPLETE stop before putting it into reverse.. that is hell on an automatic tranny..

Quick Reply: Major Transmission killers...?