2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shocks/lift---- silverdodge

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 09:27 PM
Spartan
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks/lift---- silverdodge

Finaly got around to ordering the skyjacker d201k 2" lift....or I THINK i am going to but i have some last minute random questions...

1. Is the lift 2" in rear and 3" in front to level it out "silver dodge help me out here"? or 2" all around...

2. In the pictures there is no hardware to mount the add-a-leafs..yes common sense tells me of course there is "but you never know these days"?

3.Going for new shocks rancho RS5000 for $150 or RSX for 196$ "for all fou,r the 9000's are not needed and to expensive.$250"
I do little to no offroading and definitaly not serious off roading so is the "VALVE..not sure what to call it" on the RSX shocks worth the extra 46$$ or not?

P.S i decided to paint my brake calipers for the hell of it and i was like.....while the wheels off might as well add a spring or two..
Thanx for the help.

Any other useful info i might need to know would be nice....tires are going to be 285's

Old 06-30-2005, 02:32 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Shocks/lift---- silverdodge

ORIGINAL: Spartan
Finaly got around to ordering the skyjacker d201k 2" lift....or I THINK i am going to but i have some last minute random questions...
1. Is the lift 2" in rear and 3" in front to level it out "silver dodge help me out here"? or 2" all around...
2. In the pictures there is no hardware to mount the add-a-leafs..yes common sense tells me of course there is "but you never know these days"?
3.Going for new shocks rancho RS5000 for $150 or RSX for 196$ "for all fou,r the 9000's are not needed and to expensive.$250"
I do little to no offroading and definitaly not serious off roading so is the "VALVE..not sure what to call it" on the RSX shocks worth the extra 46$$ or not?
P.S i decided to paint my brake calipers for the hell of it and i was like.....while the wheels off might as well add a spring or two..
Thanx for the help.
Any other useful info i might need to know would be nice....tires are going to be 285's
1. Not sure if your results will be the same as mine, it kinda depends on how saggy your current coils are. I think mine were pretty saggy. Take some measurments before you begin of the distance between the tire and the wheel well, and also the distance from the ground to a few points along the body (front, mid, rear). Just for comparison, in the first weeks I had the pickup, I parked next to the following, and was higher then each (not by a lot, but it was noticable at the bumper, mirror, and back of the bed)
-Stock suspension '99 Sport model with 285/75/16's
-Stock suspension '01 Off-Road model with 275/70/17's
-Stock suspension '99 2500 with 265/75/16's
-Stock suspension '99 2500 with 285/75/16's
I need to see if I am still taller now that things have flexed down some. All these trucks belong to either family of coworkers, so I should be able to test against them all again. I think I will be about equal to the last truck on the list.

But, to answer your first question, at first, it is about 2.75" to 3" in the front, and 2" in the rear, at least when you initally install. After I drove for awhile, and they flex down from the weight, it went to about 2.5" in the front, and still almost 2" in the rear. I was at 265/75/16 (31.6 diameter), and my new 285's are 32.8 diameter. That extra inch in diameter equal another 1/2" in height. So total, I got over 3" of lift from doing these coils and tires, but it is actaully closer to 3" or just a tad under now that things have flexed down some. The back is still a little higher then I like, but I have been told that it will take about 3-6 months for that add-a-leaf to flex down to where it will stay. I really like the add-a-leaf though because I was able to drive around with a 900lb load the other day, and the bed didn't hardly sag at all. With the lift in the front, I was afraid it would look like the nose pointed up when I had a load, but it doesn't.

2. The only hardware needed to mount the add-a-leafs is a longer center bolt, which comes with the kit. You reuse everything that is already on the pickup. I suggest you look to make sure you have enough extra threads in the u-bolts to accomodate the add-a-leaf. If the nuts don't have any threads showing , then you will likely need longer u-bolts, but I doubt you will.

3. I wasn't sure I wanted to get the 9000's either, but now I am glad I did. The ride with the add-a-leaf is noticably stiffer (like a 3/4 ton pickup), but by adjusting the shock, I was able to smooth that out quite a bit. I have also used the adjustment a few times to change the ride when I was on a really washboarded dirt road. It was great, well worth the extra in my opinion. I just hope they have good life.

I will answer any other questions you have, and can take other pics if you like. I also have a write up I sent to another guy who is installing his springs and AAL this weekend. I am not big on sending out writeups incase you have something go wrong, I don't want to be blamed. So if you follow my write up, you do so at your own risk. It is the steps that worked for me, but I do not guarantee them for anyone else. Let me know if you want me to send anything to you.

Old 06-30-2005, 02:49 AM
Spartan
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Shocks/lift---- silverdodge

ALright hey thanx a million and i DID order the kit but i decided to wait on the shocks....maybe then i will splurge and go with the 9000 ill see how the ride is etc...no sense in rushing desicions of this sort and i dont need em anyways so... I would love to see the right up up and any picture you have. However sense i am at my grandparents house i will have to use her e-mail "ive cleared it with her" but its hotmail so i dont think it will take a huge picture files "not sure how big they are". The adress is ruthana@hotmail.com

P.S wouldn blame ya for **** man...actualy i think anyone like that should be shot, its the dam overpaid lawyers that are the problem!!!

P.S 2 I actualy had a wierd experiance today....i was driving with my cuzin shooting birds from the truck "yes i know its illegal but its in the middle of no where...and i was in the grass and all the sudden the truck dropped off on one side....welll i ran off the culvert on a ditch that was over grown with grass in a field...OOPS....couldnt get out got the right part of the rear axle high centered however both wheels were on the ground it juist bent the **** out of the drainagepipe.....after several attempts had to get the "change a tire jack" and some bvoards pulled off a old bard and jack the rear end up using the hitch and then drive off the jack going foward "probly not the BEST thing to do multiple times but i thought that the jack/boards was a good idea on my part lol. AND yes i had tried 4x4...kinda sticky situation
anyway thanx again

Quick Reply: Shocks/lift---- silverdodge