2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tranny

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 06:49 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 4HoNdaDODGE
ive personally never changed the tranny fluid and since i didnt buy it new im not even sure if its ever been changed....
My rule of thumb: If there's no documentation of a specific maintenance item, it didn't happen.

At 100,000 miles you're going stem to stern anyway, so it doesn't matter if it was done before or not.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:10 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

He didn't say 100,000 miles, he said 1,000,000 miles... although I think it was a typo. Otherwise, holy buckets. A million miles without a fluid and filter change...

Old 04-05-2011, 10:48 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by jasonw
He didn't say 100,000 miles, he said 1,000,000 miles... although I think it was a typo.
I just assumed it was a typo.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:20 AM
Smashed-And-RAM
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish these trucks could hit 1 million miles on the original transmission, lol

Old 11-29-2011, 03:17 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Grab the service manual. You need a GOOD inch pound torque wrench to adjust the bands. Let me put emphasis on a Good torque wrench. Not the cheap Harbor Freight special because then you will be out $1400 for a transmission, like I was. Did I mention that you need a good torque wrench?

Make sure you get a good filter to, like a WIX. The crappy filter that you can get at AutoZone doesnt compare to the WIX. I also suggest getting a drain plug for the pan. Best $10 you will ever spend. And ATF+4 is your friend.

After you have the pan off, let the fluid drain for a while, like overnight or a day to get the most out.

Oh yeah, did I mention that you need a good torque wrench?
The funny thing is the harbor frieght ones are rated at +-4 percent accuracy just like the $89 craftsmen ones I saw at sears...I searched all the local autostores and found none had a wrench to measure that low (72 in lbs or 6 ft lbs) (well autozone had one of the needle type that was reading 10 ft lbs instead of 0 by default) and the real interesting thing is the ones that both autozone and advance auto sell are the same exact tawain wrenches as harbor freight sells just marketed under different names... I'm not saying it isnt possible you didnt have a bad wrench or anything.
I think the more common reason people mess up band adjustments is by doing what I almost did and adjusting with a wrench that have measurements in "ft lbs" instead of "in lbs"....
Remember even craftsman doesnt make their tools anymore... they have them manufactured in china now.. "Snap On" is the only major American tool maker left

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 11-29-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:45 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
I searched all the local autostores and found none had a wrench to measure that low (72 in lbs or 6 ft lbs)
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...210_0119471990
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...459_0119471990
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...216_0119471990

... et cetera...

I've got an ATD Tools ATD-100 that's a lot like NAPA's NHT3459, works fine.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:46 PM
4HoNdaDODGE
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hahahaha wow this is old...

Old 11-29-2011, 03:47 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old thread bro... But Pittsburgh and Kobalt and Husky are US made and good quality.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2x1972
Old thread bro... But Pittsburgh and Kobalt and Husky are US made and good quality.
lol the ones I bought at harbor freight are "Pittsburgh" brand and they are made in Taiwan...
only some of the stuff sold under the kobalt/husky name are made in the usa... husky used to manufacture the "craftsman line for sears too... a long time ago...
To be honest with you most tools arent made here anymore for the same reason that NO auto crankshafts are made here anymore...newer EPA regulations makes it *******ly (apparently virtu ally is a bad word) impossible and or very expensive to make the special hardened steel ideal for some of these tools in the states...

And yeah Napa was the ONE auto store I couldnt try because they close earlier than the rest around here...I did try Advance auto, autozone and carquest as well as home depot and they all said they dont carry 1/4 torque wrenches and I would be better off going to sears or a tool store (and paying the 900% markup which seeing that I have already spent more than I have to spare wasnt going to happen)
I was able to adjust the band with my harbor freight one anyway... unfortunately I have other issues like lack of consistent downshifting (I havent touched the front band yet) It is shifting past second gear now however...

I know this is an old thread but this is the third one where I read while resaerching band adjustments where it referenced purps transmission failure being due to the "cheap harbor freight wrench". When the truth is it likely was either on its way out to begin with or some other mistake was made.... Not everyone can afford a $189 torque wrench they might only use once and misinformation can cause more damage than good in places like these due to the parrots repeating and exaggerating just about every negative experience on here... I adjusted my band waay out of spec using ft lbs instead of in lbs and was able to realize my mistake and correct it with the correct wrench and torque settings the second time around without destroying my transmission which I would have to believe one would be able to notice happening after the adjustment like I did.
If those wrenches that autozone,Advance, harbor freight and the like sell really didnt work I think they would have stopped being sold by them a long time ago.... They are tested to meet the same +or_ 4% acuraccy as the better ones out there so people shouldnt be intimidated into not being able to attempt doing their own work based on one kids experience because they cant afford to choose a $189 dollar wrench over a $20 one. Thats all I'm saying.

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 11-30-2011 at 05:12 PM.

Quick Reply: tranny