2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transfer case lowering?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 01:00 PM
AceWyatt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transfer case lowering?

hi guys n gals. i just bought a 96 2500 v10 and the truck came with a 8" lift on 35's. problem is the previous owner who put the lift in didnt lower the t-case and i blew my front driveshaft upon engage of 4x4, turns out the yoke and/or shaft was rubbing on the cross member. my question is : do i lower the t-case or do i get an "indexing ring" or both? and what are the differences? thanx!

Old 04-04-2011, 01:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Lowering the t-case tilts the entire engine/trans/t-case assembly downward toward the back. This will actually increase front driveshaft angles.....

Clock ring allows you to rotate the t-case on its mounts, maintaining all angles, just putting the output for the front drive shaft lower.

Another option would be to do some clearancing on the double joint on the front drive shaft, or, get one made with a CV joint instead of the two u-joints.

Companies make 'high clearance' shafts, but, those are fairly custom, and not precisely cheap.

Nother option would be to knock three inches of lift outta there.......

Old 04-04-2011, 01:33 PM
AceWyatt

ive had a couple different opinions on this and 1 reply was lowering it, but as you said everything would get tilted. ive also heard of the cv joint answer. its just too much angle for a stock shaft and am quite frustrated as to what the best answer is before i send it to the shop and get needless work done. would a cv joint installed onto a new shaft be the best answer? taking the lift lower is not an option

Old 04-04-2011, 01:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Don't really need eight inches for 35 inch tires.

Something else I would look at with eight inches of lift, would be drive shaft LENGTH. Are they long enough to do the job properly? Got enough engagement on the splines that they aren't gonna let go?

A custom shaft should fix the problem...... whether you modify yours, or just order up a complete shaft.... up to you. (and the capabilities of whatever shop you take it to...) Might wanna give these guys a call, and see what they suggest.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:14 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Lowering the transfer case because of the lift? Doesnt that defeat the purpose of having a lift and larger tires?

Old 04-04-2011, 03:30 PM
AceWyatt

well heres my problem, the front driveshaft rests on the crossmember, when it does a half turn it lines up with the diff yoke, when i complete the turn of the driveshaft it goes back to resting on the crossmember, the angle is just too steep. and i have absolutly no idea how to correct this, im told a lowering kit would work but thats alot of work im also told, im also told another cv would do the trick, also ive been told to hack a piece of the crossmember out lol. check my "garage" youll see the truck, i can post pics of undercarriage if itd help!

Old 04-04-2011, 03:32 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Take about 3'' off that lift.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:39 PM
AceWyatt

theres gotta be a solution aside from lowering the lift cant there? how do other guys do it? i like the height i love the look now i just need to make it work! lol

Old 04-04-2011, 03:41 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hacking out the crossmember is a quick fix, but won't solve the pinion angle problem. Maybe going to the hanger bearing setup some Rams have would fix it.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:12 PM
tweeker909
Professional

I see a truck in need of a long arm kit to get that axle back to were it needs to be. Its so off-centered that alone could be the problem. Then go from there.

Quick Reply: transfer case lowering?