2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shaking while passing

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 01:58 PM
jfharlow4530
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaking while passing

Firstly let me say hello to everyone, first time poster.

My truck is a 2001 Dodge ram 4x2 with the 318. 98,000 miles.

I've searched on here before posting and read almost all vibration posts and still can't find one to describe my problem.

Starting about a month ago my truck will sometimes shake while accelerating between 45 and 50 from a dead stop. My first thought was "crap, new transmission time." It did this off and on now for a month and when it would do it I started noticing that it wasn't while shifting. Searching and searching I saw that it could be a few different things like tie-rod bushings, bad tire balance(checked), all the way to a bad catalytic converter(???). Today while driving home I was behind someone doing 45 in a 55 so when I pulled out to pass my truck made an odd-almost growling sound and I could feel shaking through the floorboard and steering wheel before my truck even down-shifted to pass. I pulled back in line and a few miles later the car in front slowed and turned off so to try and repeat the sound I gunned it pretty hard, going from 20 to 75 mph without the slightest noise or vibration. I thought about maybe the U-joint but After searching on here I read that it would sound like choking a gerbil, and go clunk when shifting into gear. I read that it might be the motor mounts but after checking them, they are also in good shape. I checked the tranny fluid and its clean with no grit or metal and no burnt smell or look.(change fluid and filter every 25k miles) I read that it may be caused by bad plug wires also. I realize this could be any number of things but I don't really have the money to go and replace everything so If anyone has an idea to post could you also tell me how to check if it is indeed what is wrong or maybe symptoms that I should look for to see if it might be my problem.

any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Welcome to DF.

Try driving at 45 MPH. (just fast enough so the truck will shift into O/D) If you feel the vibration..... chances are what you are feeling is an engine miss. How old are your tune up parts? Have you done anything with the plenum yet?

Old 04-05-2011, 02:28 PM
jfharlow4530
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

last tune up was around 18k ago, but that was 3 years back. just basic tuneup at a local shop. Forgive me for being a noob, but was is the plenum (obviously that answers whether I have done anything with it lol)

Old 04-05-2011, 02:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Intake manifold on these trucks wasn't the best design..... they are two piece, a large aluminum casting, with a steel belly pan, held on by bolts that are too long, and a poor quality gasket. If you look down your throttle body, you will see it. If you see oil pooling on it, it's time to change it. The gasket develops leaks, so, you get vacuum leak, suck oil into the intake, foul plugs, clog cats, munch up O2 sensors, etc. Best fix for this is the Hughes plenum plate. Solves a bunch of the problems with the factory design.

Pull a few of your plugs, see what they look like.

Quick Reply: Shaking while passing