2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Seafoam?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 09:24 PM
VinsBlackRam
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seafoam?!?!?

where do you but seafoam in? what vacume line? and does it acualy help?

Old 04-12-2011, 09:46 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You pour it in the brake booster line. Read the can.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:29 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

i took the air box off, and started it, opened the TB by hand, and sprayed it in.....felt like it breathed a lil bir better, but it didnt clean the intake at all

Old 04-12-2011, 10:41 PM
yz250rider

i thought seafoam was a fuel additive?

Old 04-12-2011, 11:20 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yz250rider
i thought seafoam was a fuel additive?
It is both a gas additive, and an intake/top end cleaner. It says that it can be added to oil as well.... But don't do that... Please.

To answer the op's question more thoroughly:https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-question.html
Post #4

My truck runs a lot smoother, and got some of it's "giddy-up" back after the treatment.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:25 PM
Seth_787446
Professional

Just did mine the other day, the can says to put it in the oil but that's pretty stupid idea.
Best way is to easily feed it through the brake booster hose that leads into the intake SLOWLY.
Just dump the rest into the gas tank.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:25 AM
jaqattack02

Why not put it in the oil? I did it on an old Cherokee with a 4.0L and after I changed out the oil I was getting better oil pressure in it. I usually put the appropriate amount in the oil, drive it for 30 minutes or so, then bring it back and change the oil. It definitely cleans something, because that oil usually comes out looking fairly nasty. I've done it on several cars and it's never caused an issue. Besides, I highly doubt they would put it on the can if it was a bad idea.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:30 AM
BamaRam97
Veteran

Originally Posted by jaqattack02
Why not put it in the oil? I did it on an old Cherokee with a 4.0L and after I changed out the oil I was getting better oil pressure in it. I usually put the appropriate amount in the oil, drive it for 30 minutes or so, then bring it back and change the oil. It definitely cleans something, because that oil usually comes out looking fairly nasty. I've done it on several cars and it's never caused an issue.Besides, I highly doubt they would put it on the can if it was a bad idea.
Where do you think all that debris that the seafoam breaks up is going when you put it in your oil? Most of the time it ends up wrapping itself in the pickup tube and oil pump. This is why you shouldn't put it in your oil.

As for the last sentence, I don't want to sound like a PITA but take the hook out of your mouth.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:35 AM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jaqattack02
Why not put it in the oil? I did it on an old Cherokee with a 4.0L and after I changed out the oil I was getting better oil pressure in it. I usually put the appropriate amount in the oil, drive it for 30 minutes or so, then bring it back and change the oil. It definitely cleans something, because that oil usually comes out looking fairly nasty. I've done it on several cars and it's never caused an issue. Besides, I highly doubt they would put it on the can if it was a bad idea.
Think about it man, you have all of that crap floating around in your oil--even if it is for just 30 mins--which has a pretty good chance of clogging the oil pickup tube and necessitating an oil pump replacement.... Or getting caught up in the lifters and necessitating a replacement... Or getting lodged in a pushrod tube and making it eat it's way through a rocker arm.....

It's just a bad idea to knock all of the sludge loose in a high milage engine that you are not absolutely certain about the service record of.

Last edited by Mad_Scientist; 04-13-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:16 PM
jaqattack02

To each their own. I haven't had an issue doing it in any of the cars I own, and as I mentioned, it's actually made some of them run better. If you guys don't want to do it to your trucks, it's your decision.

Quick Reply: Seafoam?!?!?