2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Going from a clutch fan to a straight fan?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005 | 10:18 PM
rejectracing
|
Rookie
Default RE: Going from a clutch fan to a straight fan?

besides being illegal what will it hurt to run my exhaust straight out after the 02 sensor? We cut my cat off right past the sensor where the pipe goes into the cat and I drove it and it seems to be sluggish at the start of the gear but when you get on it some more it runs better. IT seemed though that it was running out of gas quicker because this morning before I cut off the cat it had over a 1/4 or a tank and when i cut the cat off and drove down the road and back it had less than 1/4. IT seemed to use a lot of gas quick

Old 07-02-2005 | 02:25 PM
Tani1500
Champion

first of all, I believe that the CE light flashing means you have a miss fire, If the cat is making a rotten egg smell, its shot or close to it. as for the exhaust, I would get a peice of pipe and reconnect it with the other pipe and the muffler.(you can always take out the muffler too.) That can be great for the engine after awile and its dangerous for you, you dont want that muvh exhaust fumes under your truck right by your cab. I had a 91 power ram that the exhaust system was falling off of so we cut it off right before the cat like you did, I dove it around alittle and If you rammed on the gas it would start shouting flames out the back. if you would like a new cat, I recommend the Magnaflow High flow cat. It makes a huge difference compared to the stock one. I got mine for aroun $90.00. hope that helps

Old 07-02-2005 | 03:22 PM
Rockhopper93

Hello: Listen from everything that I have been told and even though everybody seems to have a difference of opinion on most thing's, the common saying on exahust is the same, most of the people I have delt with say if you have a Fuel Injected motor it is best to leave the Cat on the truck, it wont hurt to take it off but you will get better performance with it on,(AND WORKING CORECTLY) it should only be a couple of hundred dollers to replace it with a universal cat, also running stright pipe with no back presure is not good on stock motor's, as far as the missing and running like crap after the mud fest, check for water in the spark plug wires, also I forgot what year you said you had but if you have a distibutor cap like I do chack for water in it, I used a little silicone to keep the water out of mine. Also if your air filter got wet you would be starving your engine but that should have dried out in a day or two but if the water that got inthere was very muddy then the filter is tost. good luck and I hope you find your problem.[>:]

Old 07-02-2005 | 09:17 PM
zeekxxx
Captain

I know I wont make friends saying this but everytime I hear someone wanting to cut off the cat I want to smack them. If you cant afford to keep your truck running right you shouldnt have bought the damn thing. The cat is there for a purpose. God knows the thing is getting such bad gas milage running correctly It seems stupid to take off the cat and add more crap in the air. Im sure all you people living in Calf looking at the yellow cloud over your city love people who take off cats. Yes I know one truck without a cat wont stop the world but many members have given links to the high flow cats for sale on ebay and they run about 90 bucks.

Old 07-03-2005 | 08:03 AM
horatio102
Champion

1) the whole "no backpressure is bad" myth is a lie perpetuated by people who don't have a solid grasp on the issue. Backpressure hurts performance. Period. High velocity and zero backpressure are the ideal situation.

2) I agree with zeekxxx, toss a high flow cat on - your car will run cleaner. My buddy has a yellow and brown stain on the back bumper of his white WRX from running catless - he's got a cat back in there now.

Old 07-03-2005 | 02:03 PM
Tani1500
Champion

i agree with zeeks, I got mine right from one of magnaflows distributers. It was $95 and it was worth it. just get on man,

Old 07-05-2005 | 04:24 AM
Rockhopper93

First of all I did give you a high doller amount on a after market cat they are about a hundred dollers, also I am sorry about putting the back pressure word's in there, all the back presure is good for is to channal the heat and noise where you want it, and it is true the less resistenc in a exahust the better but running stright pipe with out comming out from underneath the truck is bad, this is where I was going and I am sorry about not going into detail's but the way you cut your exahust is not only a heath hazzard but a fire hazzard as well, if you are running a performance machine and set up the system corectly no problem, anyway I hope you found your problem and contrary to what the other guy said I am not a lier without a clue, My Ramcharger has 180,000 miles on it and kick's but on and off the road, and I do all the work myself, but I do ask a lot of people for there input and make my own assesment. [8D]

[IMG]local://upfiles/17925/9A2ACDD0815F434D8502289D17928659.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/17925/422957203A2D407E8055B80EDCA63375.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Going from a clutch fan to a straight fan?