2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Taillight Assembly Insight Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005 | 03:09 AM
julian77
Default Taillight Assembly Insight Please

Short Version:
Does a malfunctioning rear taillight make the turn signal on the dash static or not blink?

Long Version:
What are your thoughts on replacing a tallight assembly on my 1997 Ram 1500, non-sport package given inexperience and no cash?

Issue: Some @#$% hit my truck between the drivers' side rear bumper and rear tire in my parking lot and of course left no contact info. I am no motorhead and am working with a budget here, so I want to try and fix it up myself (leaving the dented quarter panel). I think that no lights in the rear taillight assembly are working now and when trying to use the turn signal (left only)...the dash just shows a solid light (as opposed to blinking).

Question: Given this situation, is it likely the bulb is just not working properly or could the issue be more serious? So that if I bought a new assembly (see pic) and new bulbs all would be well? Could there be another problem?

Thanks for the thoughts.

Old 07-04-2005 | 04:57 AM
3500reddragon
Default RE: Taillight Assembly Insight Please

Check the bulb first (I'm sure you did that already but what the heck). I don't know what the bulb does on your vehicle as my RAM (3500) is a 1998. That's a new model year, so all bets are off as far as I know since the model changed. On my truck, the turn signal was also bad when I bought it (4 days ago!). The right rear turn signal was not working properly. The bulb was burned out & a bulb changeout solved the problem. BTW, I think your truck takes the standard bulb, old school round one, as opposed to the rectangle based ones. Back to the point, the turn signal blinked quicker when the bulb was bad. I would guess that Mopar used the same basic control unit from year to year and would think that if a simple bulb changeout did not solve the problem, then it's probably the result of a short due to the accident. Again, your truck is a year newer, so don't rule anything else out. A pinched cluster could wreak havoc & if the simple solution is not obvious, I would look at the harness, in the area that was hit.

Old 07-05-2005 | 03:43 PM
Scootr
Professional
Default RE: Taillight Assembly Insight Please

Also check the flasher unit in the fuse panel inside the truck. Mine did the same thing and it ended up being the $3 flasher

Quick Reply: Taillight Assembly Insight Please