2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What does a bad clockspring sound like?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 12:47 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

LOL. I had the clock spring go in my Grand Cherokee last year. Started with the air bag light (and annoying chime) going on and off constantly, followed by it just being constantly on (thank the Lord), and then the cruise started working only intermittently.

Got me one from the dealer and got the wheel puller from the local auto parts store who does those "free loaner" deals with just a CC# for deposit.

No noise, just sh*t stopped working.

You may want to pull the plastic housing from behind the steering wheel and give every moving "part on part" piece a spray with a lithium grease. I had an '89 Dodge Raider that after about 6 years started doing an annoying squealing when turning and that's all I did. It shut up for the remaining 5 years I had it...

Old 04-15-2011, 02:52 PM
TryMeImHard
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if everything still works it not clock spring you had another post about u-joints in steering shaft is the shaft catching on anything... have you inspected it while somebody was turning the wheel??

inspect everything under hood and dash..

Quick Reply: What does a bad clockspring sound like?