2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 voltage spike

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 08:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Originally Posted by I luv havin a Big Red!
I just wanted to say that I've recently had similiar issues with my 01 Ram 5.9L quad cab 1500 2wd. I took the Negative cable and pulled it back off the motor and zip tied it to the metal brake lines by the PDC box on the right side of engine compartment. Then once my repairs were finished I placed it back down on the motor and attached it to the spots I thought it was attached to before? I thought? lol And now when I connect the battery it blows that 140 amp fuse in the PDC marked Alternator?
I went to Dodge bought 3 of them thingy's and was told that my short is that I'm grounding a hot wire somewhere? or grounding something that shouldn't be grounded? When I read the manual I've got it says that the negative cable connects to the back of power steering pump but leaves out the area on the right side of my support bracket and the steer/pump that another cable grounds to that runs down my valley between the intake a right valve cover. So my question is I don't think my truck had the neg. cable grounded to back of the steer/pump and I put that part of the neg. cable with the other one that grounds between the support bracket and my steer/pump? Could that be the reason I'm shorting out? Having the 2 grounds over lapping each other and mounted together with nothing seperating them? Can anyone send me a diagram link for the whole negative cable from the battery to the alternator? PLEASE!!!!!!!! and thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can download the factory service manual from the faq section here, it has wiring diagrams, and all the ground locations you will need.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:33 PM
I luv havin a Big Red!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To my dismay? lol I found out the had way 3 140 amp fuses later........
When bolting the negative cable back down to the motor make sure you remember how it came off it first! Especially the Alternator cause that was my issue..... Some how I forgot during the whole adventure that the neg cable that connects to that long bolt in the rear of Alternator it has to be put back correctly otherwise you will continue to blow the 140amp fuse in the PDC! So 3 fuses later 2 trips to Dodge and reading my manual over and over I got nothing!....
Then I popped my dads hood checked behind his Alternator in his Honda AND ON THA ROAD AGAIN! YEAH BUDDY! I just had that connection touching the metal plate and shorting out the alternator so remember to put it back just like it was or write it down even it will help once3 it starts to go back together I hope? THANKS!

Old 01-04-2013, 02:48 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First off, you do not have a negative cable to connect to the back of the alternator. Alternators use the case and mounting bracket for ground, and the stud in the back is the + output. It goes to the positive battery connection.

Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 voltage spike