2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

track bar..

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 01:51 AM
TryMeImHard
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default track bar..

well i finally got the track bar and was going to swap it out.. pretty simple right??

Nope.. i was able to get the frame end off but the axle end was another story i soaked it all day with PB and still no turn(with impact) so i'm guessing to keep soaking it??

no way to grind it off is there??

Old 04-18-2011, 02:04 AM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TryMeImHard
well i finally got the track bar and was going to swap it out.. pretty simple right??

Nope.. i was able to get the frame end off but the axle end was another story i soaked it all day with PB and still no turn(with impact) so i'm guessing to keep soaking it??

no way to grind it off is there??
Must be the salt up there in MI. Mine came off without much trouble.

2 things I always try when I cant get a bolt to turn: mechanical shock (which you already tried with the impact) and heat... or a combination thereof.

Get yourself one of those propane torches (the big one that uses a bottle) and heat the area around it up. Then hit it with the impact, then torch, then impact, etc. Eventually (usually after many beers and swear words) it will come loose.

Just dont get too trigger happy with the impact, or you'll break the head off of the bolt.... and that's a whole 'nother problem.

Also, note that the rubber bushing in the track bar will probably catch fire when you hit it with the torch, so be prepared for that.

Last edited by Mad_Scientist; 04-18-2011 at 02:12 AM.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:22 AM
TryMeImHard
Professional

yeah man you drive 2 years here and you got rust i'll try the heat... i was thinking the PB would catch fire but thanks for the heads up on the bushing

Old 04-18-2011, 02:34 AM
Mad_Scientist
Captain

Id wait a good while to let the PB evaporate before you do this, just to be on the safe side.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:20 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 on using a plumbers torch to heat the head of the bolt. it takes it awhile to get the bolt hot enough to make it stretch. i don't think the PB will catch fire. it'll just evaporate off.

heat, impact, heat, impact = it will eventually come out. just don't round off the head..

Old 04-18-2011, 11:46 AM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+2 on the heat, dont do it with it soaked in pb, but yes heat it up and get on it with ur wrench as fast as u can.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:47 AM
TryMeImHard
Professional

well tried everything on it today had it spinning but wasnt backing out??? broke loose in back i'm guessing.. and i rounded the head...

looks like i got some drilling and cutting to.. and alot of swearing because it is not going to be fun..

Old 04-19-2011, 07:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Got an oxy-acetylene torch? Blow the nut off the back, and the head off the end you can actually see. Try not to damage the bracket. Then pull that feller out.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:37 AM
Mad_Scientist
Captain

Originally Posted by TryMeImHard
well tried everything on it today had it spinning but wasnt backing out??? broke loose in back i'm guessing.. and i rounded the head...

looks like i got some drilling and cutting to.. and alot of swearing because it is not going to be fun..

Wedge a wrench on the nut in back, and get a slightly smaller socket for the front. Beat said socket on to the rounded off head (and I mean beat). Try again.

Quick Reply: track bar..