2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

towing question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 05:07 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default towing question

hey guys, im getting ready to buy a camper, and would like to know how much i can safely haul. im looking at a 30' and a 35' camper. can i safely haul either of those with a weight distribution hitch? i know i when i hook up my my moms camper it barely squats, granted its only an 18' single axle camper. i have a brake controller, and my truck is properly setup for towing as i have the factory towing package and factory hitch and an after market transmission cooler. my transmission has about 15k miles on it since it was rebuilt. so what do you guys think?

Old 04-21-2011, 05:59 PM
sidewayzz
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 01 with off road package. I pull a 30ft camper. It wieghs about 6500lbs dry. I have a distrabution hitch along with a anti sway. It pulls the TT ok,but I dont win no races. If i was you I would opt for the 30 footer. Goodluck.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:56 AM
Rob59
Rookie

I never have, but i bought my truck from my dad who pulled my parents 30ft double axle camper without issue. 5.9 w/factory towing package. Weight distributing hitch and sway bars and you will be good.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:58 AM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i already have a weight distribution setup, i just need a shank with a bigger drop for it because the one i have does not have enough drop and its about 10 miles too long because it was originally on a jeep liberty and had to be longer to clear the spare tire. sway control is not needed if you know how to drive and how to use your brake controller.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:13 AM
bmergner
Rookie

35 travel trailer seems much for the Dodge, the 30 would be better. iam guessing your are going with a lite weight version camper? i have a 01 ram 4x4 with the 5.9 and i pull a 31 foot go fast boat. my truck pulls the boat pretty good but not a rocket ship. i did a derale deep pan, trans cooler, added a set of extra towing springs in the rear. i did just do the Hughes AirGap intake which helped some. programmer is on the way. iam not sure what my boat and trailer but i would say iam over 6000lbs for sure.

Quick Reply: towing question