2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

deep transmission pans

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 08:12 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default deep transmission pans

hey guys, im looking into purchasing a deep trans pan. i found the derale on summit, but are there other brands? which one is best for towing and plowing applications? thanks guys!

Old 04-22-2011, 08:19 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This just came up the other day. I'm happy with the Derale, and apparently so is everyone else who's got one. While you're at it, you should very seriously consider adding a remote filter to the system in place of the anti-drainback check valve (or in the line it may already have been removed from). If you don't have the factory towing package or an aux cooler, get an aux cooler, too.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:19 PM
candymancan
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adding more water to a cooling system only delays the heating process, its best to have a bigger pan and a bigger cooler. I dont know what you have for cooling, but in a watercooling setup on a computer for example if you add a 5 gallons bucket to the mixture the water still reachs the same temp.

Im going to assume its the same as this with ATF. So adding more wont solve the cooling process, get a bigger aux cooler

Old 04-22-2011, 08:25 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by candymancan
Adding more water to a cooling system only delays the heating process, its best to have a bigger pan and a bigger cooler. I dont know what you have for cooling, but in a watercooling setup on a computer for example if you add a 5 gallons bucket to the mixture the water still reachs the same temp.

Im going to assume its the same as this with ATF. So adding more wont solve the cooling process, get a bigger aux cooler
i have the largest aux. cooler available for our trucks. a deeper trans pan holds more atf, so you run cooler, a trans will heat up quicker when plowing or towing, so more fluid allows it to keep cooler, and cool down quicker.

unreg. i already plan on getting a remote filter. with a deeper pan, do i need to get a internal filter drop bracket, or whatever it is as well? which line is the return line, and which is the feed line?

Old 04-22-2011, 08:33 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

most places are out of stock on the derale pan.. they should be available pretty soon though..

you don't have to have the internal filter extender, but the way i see it- you should get it anyway.. reason: that tranny will ALWAYS be gulping fluid.. no matter the angle of the truck.. that is a good thing! Once you do the extender, new internal filter, derale pan w/ drain plug, and external filter and cooler- you should only rarely have to go into the tranny- only to adjust the band.. and that isn't often..

Old 04-22-2011, 08:44 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

ok now the question is where do i get the filter extender? im going camping on memorial day, and would like to have all this stuff by then. im only going to be towing a small 18' camper it weighs in at about 4k or so fully loaded.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:18 PM
drewactual
Champion

here is where I got all of it..

https://www.lpiracing.com/

they seem to be good folks..

here is my order for what it's worth:

ORDER DETAILS UNIT PRICE TOTAL
================================================== ====================
QTY 1
SKU 14010
PRODUCT DERALE Deep Pan Filter Extender, 14010
PRICE $44.95

QTY 1
SKU 14210
PRODUCT DERALE Extra Capacity Transmission Cooling Pan, Dodge A727, A618 and A518, 14210
PRICE $134.95

QTY 1
SKU 13304
PRODUCT DERALE 17-1/2" x 10-1/4" Tube and Fin Transmission Cooler Kit: 13304
PRICE $69.95

QTY 1
SKU 13090
PRODUCT DERALE Transmission Remote Filter Kit, 13090
PRICE $49.95

Subtotal: $299.80
=====================
Total: $299.80

another place was just as cheap, and had an electric fan/ cooler core set-up on special.. they were:

http://www.polyperformance.com/index.php

Old 04-23-2011, 12:02 AM
candymancan
Veteran

Believe what you want, but once the fluid in the bigger pan heats up then what? Listen if you dont believe me do a little experiement of your own..

Get a 1 gallon bucket fill it with water, hook it up to a heat source and attach a pump and small radiator with a computer fan on it. Let it run and check the temperature an hour or so later.

Do the same thing with a small container, i garuntee you the water in both will be the same temperature... The only difference in the water is the smaller one got warmer faster.. A bigger pan is not going to keep it cooler, once you reach the temperature that your cooling system can keep up with provided ambient air temps you wont be getting any cooler then you would with your smaller pan..... Its just not possible.. think about it for a second.. There is no way.

You could do the same thing to a 100 gallon tank vs a 50 gallon tank, the only diff is it takes longer to heat up but the temp will be the same, the only way the temp stays cooler is the cooling system.. The fan and the radiator you use.

Im not saying dont get the deeper pan, you should but I am saying the temperature wont change, it will just take longer to heat up and longer to cool down.

Last edited by candymancan; 04-23-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:22 AM
drewactual
Champion

i don't think anyone is arguing your point man.. but dig this:

1. more fluid circulating through that tranny means longer life of the fluid..
2. an external cooler in addition to the already existing cooler core means more cooling surface which means more consistent temperature.
3. external cooler previous to the radiator, in theory, cools more- and in the case of it possibly cooling too much, means the radiator assisted cooling core can warm it back up..
4. external filter provides much more filter surface for the passing fluid.. and it is easier to change (think: every other oil change).. if a user does this- most likely an internal filter will never have to be touched again..
5. check valve deletion allows for more positive flow and eliminates the opportunity for the thing to malfunction and starve a tranny of flow.

now the pan:

1. the pans design has little cooling tubes formed in the bottom of it.. whether it works or not is a mystery to me, but two things are for certain- it provides more volume for more fluid, and it provides more cooling surface (whether air flows through those tubes or not)..
2. there is a magnetic drain plug in it which allows for easier fluid removal and replacement- which prompts folks to do it more often..
3. there is a bung for a temperature probe, which allows a user to maintain observation of temperature and respond before the dreaded fault light and/or loss of o/d.. it can happen fast- if you're monitoring it while pushing/pulling/hauling- you just eliminated a big portion of concern.
4. addition of the internal filter extender allows the straw from which that tranny drinks to be deeper in the deeper pan.. it won't run dry unless it's dang near standing on it's grill or it's tailgait.. that's a pretty nice little plus..

I don't want to argue whether or not more fluid means a cooler tranny, because both sides can be argued effectively- and the right one depends on the usage.. but the argument for a deeper pan has merit far above and below that argument.. It's simply a good move- even if that is all you do..

Old 04-24-2011, 09:57 AM
muzz3256
Rookie

So I've been looking at doing this as well to my truck, but I was wondering about the auxiliary cooler. I requested my build sheet from Dodge and it listed the following two things:

ADJ Heavy Duty Service Group
AHC Trailer Tow Group

Now I'm under the impression that these include a factory aux transmission cooler, is that correct? I also have to say, I'm almost terrified to do anything to my transmission, I'm a decent shade tree mechanic, but the simplest smallest error with a transmission could be fatal, but I'd rather take the chance and do some preventive maintenance to avoid a failure later.

Quick Reply: deep transmission pans