2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

crazy oil pressure gauge????

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 08:15 PM
dipsherry
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default crazy oil pressure gauge????

ok so finished truck....Well so i thought driving back home i notice oil pressure went from great 40psi to noting like truck was off nothing... so i pulled over and shut er down right away....checked everything she was full of oil all was great...started up and oil pressure was back...but as soon as you hit the gas and it gets over 1500 rpms it go dead again. but if driving and u turn off turn back on it has shows oil pressure and its great...so after about a mile of me shutting truck on and off 50 times to check oil pressure i just drove the 40 miles home no problems got home shut off turned on and pressure was great. what could cause this

Old 04-24-2011, 08:18 PM
dodgeram07
Champion

try to put a Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge on it

Old 04-24-2011, 08:24 PM
matty675
Record Breaker

sounds like a clogged pick-up

Old 04-24-2011, 08:28 PM
dipsherry
Record Breaker

i just sent the g/f up to the parts store to get a sending unit but they are closed...where is the sending unit located at

Old 04-24-2011, 08:31 PM
dipsherry
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by matty675
sounds like a clogged pick-up
if i turn truck off and start it up rev s can be at 2500 and it shows oil pressure...if the pickup was clogged would how can i have 40 psi at idle then as soon as i hit gas the gauge goes to nothing not slightly goes down just a immidate drop like you turn the truck off

Old 04-24-2011, 08:47 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker

sending unit is on the passenger side of the distibutor. u can use a cresent wrench but they do make a socket just for the oil sending unit, and its wayyyyyy easier.

if the sending unit dont fix it, i would just throw a mechanical guage on and ground the original sending unit connection to itself, and call it a day.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:56 PM
dipsherry
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ryan0714
sending unit is on the passenger side of the distibutor. u can use a cresent wrench but they do make a socket just for the oil sending unit, and its wayyyyyy easier.

if the sending unit dont fix it, i would just throw a mechanical guage on and ground the original sending unit connection to itself, and call it a day.
yeah just found it u unhooked it and it doesnt have the light...which will work for now just gonna throw the mech gauge on it and call it good....i might do the sending unit tomorrow after work if i feel like it

Old 04-24-2011, 09:15 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to have a 92 chevy that would do the exact same thing... replaced sensor after sensor with no luck. No valve rattle, no ticks, the gauge just wouldn't read correctly.

I finally found the problem when tearing into the engine to replace a head gasket: there was a wire rubbed bare which would ground out on the body upon acceleration due to wind/g-forces. Covered it with e-tape and it solved that particular problem (and as was that chevy's trick, birthed another, more serious problem).

Old 04-24-2011, 09:36 PM
dipsherry
Record Breaker

Well I just fixed the intake and I never had a problem before....so I could of pinched a wire hell thousands of possibilities lol

Old 04-24-2011, 10:06 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

did you change the oil after the intake fix? sludge, gasket pieces, etc can fall down into the pan and might be sucking up on the oil pump intake.

Quick Reply: crazy oil pressure gauge????