2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

vaccum gauge brands? gauge pods?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 11:20 AM
newman1367
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
what gauges are those, the black or tinted? also, which gauges are they, trans temp, vacuum? i think im going to get those as well so im trying to figure out which ones to get and what ones are the most popular. i know im going to get a trans temp and a vacuum gauge, but i cant decide on the 3rd gauge.

They are the tinted 7 series. Vacuum, trans temp and like you, couldn't decide on the third, but went with a oil temp gauge. I've heard the factory gauges are accurate and I didn't want 2 gauges telling me the same info.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:42 AM
newman1367
Veteran

Originally Posted by Demoes4x
I just ordered a set (glowshift) with the Trans temp, water temp, and vacuum.
Which is the best line to connect the vacuum. I guessing the block has a place/plug for the water temp sensor. What about the tranny?

Thanks

Demoe.

Any vacccum line coming off the intake will work. I used one on the passenger side, had to get a T from napa since the hose with the gauge was smaller than the one on the engine. For the water temp http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/Water-Hose-Adapters.aspx and for the trans my pan had a drilled and tapped port for the sending unit, but this should also work http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/trans...-extender.aspx

Old 05-01-2011, 12:04 PM
revvinram
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the subject of gauge's, has anyone ever used Garmins Eco route HD it connects to your OBD port and has multiple guages that display on you GPS? http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/us/...vices/ecoRoute

Thanks,

Old 05-01-2011, 12:17 PM
TurbineTech

That EcoRoute HD looks really cool. If you already have the GPS seems like a no-brainer to pick up the cable...

Old 05-02-2011, 09:01 AM
Novarider
Captain

What's the point of a vacuum gauge?

Old 05-02-2011, 09:28 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

vacuum is an indicator of engine load.. it's pretty much THE indicator.. If you can keep the engine from loading up, you can both conserve fuel, but also keep it right at the point where you're a millimeter on the fast foot from the power band..

unless you have an obdii slaved computer w/real time diagnostics application, there is no better gauge for engine load imHo..

Old 05-02-2011, 10:18 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Novarider
What's the point of a vacuum gauge?
In addition to what drewactual said: A vacuum gauge can tell you if you've got excessive back pressure (as from a fouled/clogged cat), worn valve guides, a leaky or sticking valve, a blown head gasket, leaking piston rings, or a vacuum leak.

A vacuum gauge is a visual indicator of what the MAP sensor reads.

Last edited by UnregisteredUser; 05-02-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by newman1367
........... and for the trans my pan had a drilled and tapped port for the sending unit, but this should also work http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/trans...-extender.aspx
Will that work with the 47re? Where would I look under the truck for the test port?

Old 05-07-2011, 02:42 PM
newman1367
Veteran

Originally Posted by Jimythefan
Will that work with the 47re? Where would I look under the truck for the test port?

It should work with the 47re. There are 5 test ports on the trans, 4 on the passenger side and one on the driver side. If you look on the passenger side, right above the pan you'll see 3 of them easily. They just have plugs in them, the one closest to the filler tube should work alright.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks newman. Climbed under there today and checked. Nice easy access for the sensor. I'll be ordering the same setup you did.

Also, does anyone know the thread size for the oil filter adapter to work with the oil temp sensor?

Last edited by Jimythefan; 05-08-2011 at 05:59 PM.

Quick Reply: vaccum gauge brands? gauge pods?