2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gas leaking from fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Ihrugby
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Gas leaking from fuel pump

Hey guys.......I just replaced my fuel pump module about 3 months ago on my '97 1500 SLT Ram and tryed the lift-up your bed method to get to the Fuel pump module and replaced it, but now all of a sudden gas is leaking from top of the gas tank when I start the engine. After reading some similar post and looking at the downloaded Service manual '96 pdf, I'm thinking I might of bautched up one (1) of the connections or didn't get the Large Locknut on tightened to the spec of 37 to 40 ft/pnds. Should I have used the special tool to disconnect one of the main fuel lines to the fuel pomp module? or special tool on the plastic lock-nut? It was very hard and popped off a few times trying to secure it the first time around. I'm hoping it is something simple I messed-up the first time through. Any help or bashing my first atemp is welcome........ I think I'm going to jack up the truck on two stands on the drivers side and lower it like one of the previous post I read. TIA

Ihrugby............Feeling a lot more confident after reading ya'lls info.......
Riding my Harley until I fix the Truck.......

Old 05-05-2011, 10:20 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Probably the connector from pump to line. Have a look under there, and see if you can verify where it is coming from.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:20 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have the plastic inner rear wheel tubs remove the one on the driver’s side, you can then see the top of the fuel pump and will be able to see the leak; it may be an o ring inside the fuel delivery line connector or the rubber ring that goes around the pump itself, or the return line. Dropping the tank is easy to do and takes about 1.5hrs to R and R the tank. If you drop the tank it’s easier to work from between the frame and body to get your hands to the fuel pump to disconnect all the connections. The factory hose clamps can be a B to get off the fuel fill hose.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Ihrugby
Default Will have time to Lower it tomorrow morning and check it out........

Will have some time to check it out and lower the tank early in the morning and hopefully see a loose hose or at least from where its leaking from..........
Also had dual exhaust on my 5.2L '97 SLT 2WDR 1500 Ram.....until one (1) broke off at the rear of the cat,(a few days back)............been reading up on that one too......need a new x-pipe and "gut the cat" with a new exhaust system......I'm pretty sure it's clogged the way it's been running here lately...........have almost All the symptums from the Sticky at the begining of the 2nd Gen Ram Postings.......but I got 186K on her so far can't really complain....When it rains it pours".....and hits the wallet hard..........Still cheaper than a new one......

Old 05-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Ihrugby
Default Found it..............

It was the main Fuel-line connector spewing gas from the 90^ rubber connector. Will order a new Line-assembly for the main Fuel/regulator was able to see it from the wheel well. Question? Can you replace the hose and connector without lowering the tank? It looks like it runs down from the Fuel-pump along the frame on the driver's side? Also, should I replace any other of the connections to the fuel tank too.....while I'm at it? Hose to the evaporator canister on the frame on the driver's side too? I think this will cover it..........the gas leak anyway............ Gues I'll be riding the bike a few more days untill I get the parts! Merc225HP had it right for the viewing window didn't even had to remove a wheel tub....it's just open and popped my head up there to tale a peak with the engine running.........Hope I can get the parts in the morning...........thanks guys

Ihrugby..............Next......the Exhaust....I'll be reading ya'lls post first to make a decision on that one.........

Quick Reply: Gas leaking from fuel pump