2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Ram Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 05:14 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2001 Ram Suspension Question

I have a question about the front suspension on a 2001 4x2 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L V8.

I've posted here about a squeaky front end before and have made new developments.

Having had my head right by the coil springs while the truck was rocked back and forth I'm 100% certain it's the springs doing the squeakin'.

I thought the bushing's may be dried out or something because when I spray the top and bottom with either CRC White Lithuim or WD40 or PB Blaster the squeak will either go away, or come and go. I once had it gone for 2 months.

Anyway, after a closer inspection there are no pads or coil spring isolators or anything. It's just the coil spring in the coil spring housing. I would have expected there to be something between the metals.

I've read people say they've had to wrap the bottom of the coil spring with a garden hose to stop the noise.

My question is, is there supposed to be anything in between the coil spring housing and the coil spring?

Could I put in a coil spring isolator or spacer to relieve the metal on metal tension and give the front a little lift in the process?

Quick Reply: 2001 Ram Suspension Question