2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need help with starter

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 01:23 PM
laidbkg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with starter

Hello Everyone.

Need some advice on a starter I'm trying to install. I have a 1997 Dodger Ram 1500. I'm trying to remove the starter but it will not come out. I've taken out a bolt and nut that secures the starter but starter will not slide out. any help will be welcome. Thanks

Old 05-07-2011, 01:53 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are two bolts one on top(cant see that well) one on the bottom(you can see)

then the wires

make sure you disconect the battery

Old 05-07-2011, 03:37 PM
laidbkg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I have the bolt and nut off, battery is disconnected also. Still wont budge

Old 05-07-2011, 04:14 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Knock it around with a dead blow hammer. Just be careful it doesn't fall on your head. If that doesn't work, try rotating the engine with a breaker bar a little bit to see if that dislodges it. It should be pretty simple to pop out.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:16 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Might be crud, I just replaced mine and the crud was terrible.

Reinstall the bottom nut a little less than finger tight and whack it with a rubber mallet on all sides. That'll keep it from falling and hurting you, or the wires.

Oh wait, hang on. Are you getting it to move a bit, just not all the way? Does the red wire from the battery run underneath the transmission/motor bracket? Might need to remove that bracket to get it to move back all the way out. I had to. Top bolt is 1/2", bottom bolt is the same as the starter, 5/8".

You'll need a 13mm wrench or socket to remove the positive terminal, 1/2" is too small, and 9/16" will round it off. Thank an engineer for that one.

The little black clip has a red lock on it. Trying to pull the tab from the front did me no good, I had to push with a standard screwdriver from the back to get it to pop out. The red lock does not come completely out, it only slides back maybe 1/4". then push the black tab down and wiggle it back. I actually had to depress the red locking tab in the back side with a screwdriver while holding down the black clip and wiggling to get it to let go.

Hit it with some brake parts cleaner to clean the crud out and then some WD-40 if you need to so it doesn't break. That plastic gets awfully brittle being that close to the exhaust.

Last edited by aim4squirrels; 05-07-2011 at 07:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Need help with starter