2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Here's one for yah.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 03:19 PM
SweetTooth
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here's one for yah.

Alright, so this only happens sometimes when I an in reverse.

You know how when you're low on power steering flood and your steering will make a loud whinning noise? This is kind of like that. It only happens when I am reverse and doesn't matter where my steering wheel is, and I can just idle and it'll do that.

Fluids are all good, I'm confusing why it's doing this or even where it's coming from.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:42 PM
seabass202
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe there is a valve/plunger in the valve body that is known to cause one heck of a buzzing type noise. I know they make upgraded everything for your valve body so if this is the problem there is a solution. that being said I haven't really heard if there are any long term effects other than the annoying noise.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sometimes the fluid gets moisture or just gets dirty, best thing you can do is a flush. Even if it is sealed shut it gets dirty. Think of brake fluid new is clear, NO Vehicle ever keeps it clear, due to moisture and contaminates. One quick way to do it is to drain your fluid and refill it.

All fluids ALL need to be replaced every now and then. I bet you never had it flushed out before.

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 05-09-2011 at 01:33 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:40 PM
CopperRam01

Originally Posted by seabass202
I believe there is a valve/plunger in the valve body that is known to cause one heck of a buzzing type noise. I know they make upgraded everything for your valve body so if this is the problem there is a solution. that being said I haven't really heard if there are any long term effects other than the annoying noise.

Ditto that^^^^ Being a former Chrysler dealer tech, I can account to that. There isn't a long term effect from the noise, just the annoyance of it. If it bothers you that much you can have the valve body replaced to the upgraded one. I highly doubt it has anything to do with fluid condition or level.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, this is a know issue. There is a TSB on it for various years. Here's one:
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1999/21-08-99.htm

Old 05-08-2011, 11:32 PM
SweetTooth
Rookie

I did a full tranny flush about 2,000 miles ago. Ran good since then. But now it's making a whining noise. Not all the time, but usually when I start it up in the morning. It's good during the day.

Quick Reply: Here's one for yah.