2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hard Chugging and Check engine Light is flashing on and off

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 10:37 PM
Jakob_ Eekhoff
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Chugging and Check engine Light is flashing on and off

Hi guys, im new to this forum so I will try and give this a shot, I have a 2001 Ram 1500 5.9. And my issue started like this, Friday night my drivers side header gasket blew out, so i spent this weekend getting a new one put in. While i was fighting with header bolts i ended up removing all the plug wires on that side of the engine. The plug wires didnt want to come loose very easily so there was a fair amount of pulling on the boots and base of the wire. Once i got everything back together and hooked up and the truck fired and idled fine, but once i got down the road the truck would chug and shake extreamly hard when i was on the throttle. It would get worse the faster i went. then the Check engine light would flash on and of if i got over 2k rpm. My truck has never done that this before and the engine light was never on. I just had my tranny built in the middle of the week. Any help is greatly appreciated

Old 05-08-2011, 10:40 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Flashing CE is indicative of a random misfire. It sounds like one or more of the plug wires was damaged if excess force was required on the boots. It would be a good idea to replace the plug wires and route them as per the TSB that can be found in the FAQ area. Also, take care to install di-electric grease on the top tips of each plug before installing the appropriate plug wire.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:42 PM
matty675
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1, misfire no doubt. damaged plugs and/or wires

Old 05-08-2011, 10:53 PM
Jakob_ Eekhoff

thanks guys, that is kinda what i figured, ill have to buy some new plug wires and plugs tomorrow after work and change them out, any suggestions on what brands and should purchase?

Old 05-08-2011, 11:08 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Stick with the stock Champion plugs and make sure you gap them. Do not buy into this BS that plugs come pre-gapped. That's impossible.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:43 AM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

Did you make sure you got the plug wires back to the correct plug?

Old 05-09-2011, 02:38 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

For plug wires, if you don't want to order something, O'Reilly's nicer BWD brand of wires are decent. Thats what I plan on using when I do mine next.

Quick Reply: Hard Chugging and Check engine Light is flashing on and off